26 replies to this topic

#11 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

AnnieInTheStalls, much as I hope you still felt it worth seeing, I am relieved to see at last that mine is not the sole dissenting voice when it comes to what seems to me to be excessive praise.  I am not the gushing type but even if I were, I would save my eulogies for a better play.  I suppose I was biased from the start as I simply didn't find it credible that three students would start house-sharing on the basis of a minimal relationship in one case (Rose + Di) and none whatsoever in the other (Rose + Viv).  Rose supposedly lived in a student house yet didn't invite any of her fellow residents to share with her but instead chose Di, who was said to live next door, and Rose didn't even know Viv at that stage, though had seen her in passing and thought she looked weird.  Yes, great basis for a house-share!  As for being expected to believe not only that Viv eventually got her dream work placement but a glossy lifestyle to go with it, come on Amelia Bullmore!  Something closer to the "starving in a garret" which one of the others mentioned would surely have been more likely.  Why go to so much trouble to get some details right (e.g. music) yet stretch credulity too far in other respects?

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Haven't seen this yet but people do regularly house share with unknowns. I did back in the day. More than once.

#13 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yes, I also shared a house with unknowns as a first-year student, since this had been arranged by the accommodation office.  But when it came to choosing second-year accommodation, I don't think any of us would have been content to leave it to chance again - some of us were happy to continue sharing elsewhere; others couldn't wait to escape, or we from them!

#14 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

It was good, but I can't see it working on the west end
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#15 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Well, someone thinks the Alan Bennett Double bill needs a space in the WE.....when there are plenty of tickets still left for it at the NT...and much as it is fun it might be the most pointless transfer ever!

I do agree that Di and Viv and Rose would not work well in a WE venue though.....but bear in mind lots of plays do not....I think lots of the Royal Court shows have lost a lot in a bigger venue..Constellations did not work at all for me after having seen in in JTU....

But usually the transfers are to make money....so directors and producers are obviously willing to make compromises for profit

#16 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I could see it transferring to a venue like Trafalgar Studio 1 or Duchess.Given its sold out its run, I would not be surprised if a transfer is being considered.

#17 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I went to this because of the cast and the three ladies did not disappoint, Tamzin Outhwaite in particular.  Was this the fragile flower who was Sweet Charity?  What a transformation!  If the play itself was hit and miss at times it was always credible to me and full of wonderfully effective scenes.  And, yes, I did start to choke up during the beautifully writtten and beautifully delivered eulogy.  Could it work in the West End?  I'd have to say yes.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#18 luce76

luce76

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I saw this this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I think Amelia Bullmore has a lovely comic touch, as well as being able to write dialouge that always feels real rather than theatrical. All three actresses were very strong, with Anna Maxwell Martin very funny as the free spirit. Perhaps due to her Eastenders background, I think that Tamzin Outhwaite doesn't always get the respect she deserves, but I think she's a lovely actress. I went with two girls who I was at uni with and it definitely made us smile with memories of our own relationships over the years.

#19 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Whether or not it goes to the West End, I can see this play having a long and prosperous afterlife in fringe and regional theatres everywhere.  A funny and involving piece with three great parts for actresses and not much set to speak of - it's a goldmine.  

There was a play from the 70s, Dusa, Fish, Stas and Vi - a female four-hander set in a London flat - that used to get done all over the place in the US.  I saw it in Los Angeles a few years ago, a bit dated and with bad English accents, but effective nonetheless.  Di and Viv and Rose could definitely follow that career path.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#20 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

It took a while for me to get into this but I really liked it, perhaps not quite as much as the lady next to me who was almost beside herself at times but it worked and I cared about the characters, was terrified by the clothes (was safely a child in the 80s though now i think of it i did have some choice outfits) and thought it asked some interesting questions. Have to admit I was one of those people who assumed Tamzin Outhwaite wouldn't necesarily be very good as she'd been in Eastenders but thought she played it beautifully, real surprise.

Plus am reliably informed by Latecomer that the set was very authentistic and those cusions were def period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users