- - - - -

Theatre For The Young - Can It Benefit And Teach Children Of Today?

Children Education School Student theatre drama learning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 allakee

allakee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Drama, Stage Management, Learning

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I am a student currently researching for my dissertation about whether theatre for young people/children benefits them in any way and I have a few questions to ask which would really help if I got some responses too.

Firstly, do you think children learn from going to visit the theatre ?

Do you think theatre should be about fun and play or education and learning?

Can theatre teach? For example everyday life skills?

Should children learn about current affairs when they go to the theatre? Not simply to go to the theatre just to see fairy tales played out?

Has theatre changed from when you were younger?

If anyone who reads this has any comments or ideas on any of the above, even to a word or two would be enough as a reply. As I have written this to gain some knowledge about what others think theatre for children benefits? even if maybe you think it doesn't?

I would like any comments, thoughts and ideas with your replies so please do respond,

Many thanks

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hi
Very interesting topic
We need your identity as far as is possible and the course you are doing and the qualification you are writing this for. I expect that many people onthis board will have opinions. But we don't like doing your homework for you. We need to know if you will quoting individual views- in other words much more info on you task and  methods etc.

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I like the way you use a capital letter for every word in the title, that makes it read like an 18th century pamphlet. Well done.

http://qspace.librar...t00ralpuoft.pdf

#4 Viceroy

Viceroy

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 21 January 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I like the way you use a capital letter for every word in the title, that makes it read like an 18th century pamphlet. Well done.

Actually there is no choice - the system puts one in automatically.

One of the many quirks of the board!

#5 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Moderators can edit the topic title and change the case of the letters, but only in certain places. (If we edit the topic title from within the topic then whatever case we use is preserved, but if we do it from the main index everything gets initcapped again. This software is a source of great wonder.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#6 allakee

allakee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Drama, Stage Management, Learning

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yes of course I wouldn't want this to seem as if you are 'doing my homework for me,' as all I am basing this part of my initial research is to gain a kind of, 'in general' and 'some people think this,' not in any way directly quoting peoples names or any other part of their identity just as a mere starter topic conversation rather than uses this as purely reliable evidence for a statement I might make.

I hope all this makes sense and if it helps I am actually studying a Stage Management degree at University and have a passion for this; however I am potentially looking into working with children maybe in the future and for that reason what to go down this route of thinking.

I don't exactly know where my IRP research shall lead to as of yet but ofcourse I would be more than happy to let you know, whether that be my more postings in the future as I gain more of a structure to my work and dissertation. At the moment I am simply starting by looking into Children's Theatre and whether attending the theatre can then go on to benefit Children who come to watch the theatre.

As you can see I am highly interested, merely that be just in general on some other people's opinions, thoughts and ideas and so for that reason really would like and appreciate if anyone would respond to the question/s I posed.

Many Thanks

#7 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm just confused really, are you asking about children going to normal public shows or theatre in education or shows specifically for children?

If its theatre in general are you asking about how children might react differently to adults? Teens are going to get something different out of a performance than 5 year olds.

I think you need to be a lot more specific about what you are asking, theatre is just too broad to generalise about.

Also tagged with Children, Education, School, Student, theatre, drama, learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users