45 replies to this topic

#21 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

Sounds like a terrible idea but I do like Harry Hill!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#22 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

View Posticecream, on 28 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

Dear god no. The West End can and should do better. This is out of date before it even starts and strikes me as just cynical and without merit. However 'funny' this is, we dont want this sort of rubbish on our London stage. What next? Big Brother The Musical?
There is lots of rubbish on our West End stage

#23 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Some of you lot are a bit touchy whether you are a snob or have 'taste'. You carry on writing off new ideas before they see the light of day. I suppose you are the same lot who think Sondheim is wonderful and blame the Joe Public for having 'no taste' when it closes pretty quickly.
No doubt you said Oh no when you heard that something was opening based on ABBA. Or a show based on a book of children's poetry about moggies. And how can you tunr a great masterpiece of a book about the poor in France into a show. Come on guys give them a chance - you never know you just might enjoy it.
I speak as Mr Joe Public who wants to leave a theatre with a smile on my face and humming some great tunes. And I can imagine an X Factor musical possibly being pretty funny. Of course Peter Kay may already have done it.

#24 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

It's tricky this one as I hate Simon Cowell but love Harry Hill. I'm keeping an open mind, could work like Jerry Springer did

#25 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I accept it could work. I just don't see anything wrong with predicting it will be terrible, no different from people being really excited about something new and upcoming without actually knowing anything about it! And the thing that worries me is the Simon Cowell involvement, I accept he knows the music buying public better than anyone, but I feel this maybe would work better with a bit of a spoof on it, but with him involved it may not turn out like that. Will have to wait and see I guess!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#26 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

With Harry Hill as the creative mind behind it just might be brilliant. But who knows.
The very best musicals have a story, humour and great songs.
Very few have all 3.
This has a story that we know works (not that different from 42nd Street really).
Harry Hill will surely give us humour and even a bit slap sticky humour too.
All good to here.
So do they get someone to write new songs.
Or create a jukebox musical.
Well lets wait and see.
I recall being initially upset that Billy Elliot was not using T Rex songs like in the film.
But Elton did a good job with a couple of rousing proper musical type songs.
We shall see.

#27 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I do think that for this to work, it has to royally take the proverbial out of X-Factor, as Peter Kay did with his Britain's Got The Pop Factor... spoof.  There's so much material, not just in X-Factor, but in TV talent shows in general - they all seem to have a contestant who is 'The Chosen One', a 'Villain', an 'Underdog' (the one who comes from a working class family and has never performed on stage before), a 'Ringer' (who could also double up as 'Chosen One' or 'Villain'), etc.  Then there are the judges, and, of course, methods of audience manipulation (e.g. editing, positive/negative press, song choice, costumes, place in the running order).  Done well, something like this could be a hit.  However, until we know what direction Harry Hill will be taking it in and how much involvement Simon Cowell will have (hopefully minimal), it's impossible to even guess how it will be recieved or how it will do.

Incidentally, it wouldn't surprise me if Cowell goes down the TV Casting route with this.

#28 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

You know what?
It's showbusiness.... who knows what works....  but at the end of the day they're out there putting on a NEW show
What the hell are you lot doing?

#29 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Whilst I hate the idea, I do think this might prove a viable proposition. The "X Factor" is a name that is recognised by most of the theatre and non-theatre going public and, probably (whilst attracting the kind of audience which fuels our "Bad Behaviour" thread) could well draw a sufficient crowd. Add to this that fewer "names" in the cast might be required (equals lower salaries for the performers) and you might have a runner.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#30 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

This is only a good thing - must mean X-Factor The Show is gona come to an end!!!! A comedy musical and 'serious' talent show can't co-exsist. Bring back New Faces!

I love you Marti *SOBS*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users