Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostJamiem, on 29 January 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

You know what?
It's showbusiness.... who knows what works....  but at the end of the day they're out there putting on a NEW show
What the hell are you lot doing?

lol thats got to be the most childish comment ive read on here in ages. Reminds me of that guy who posted a youtube video a few years ago telling everyone to leave Britney Spears alone

the only way this could work is either as a pastiche or a serious look at the talent show programmes (ala a chorus line) both of which would mean Cowell admitting how stagemanaged it all is or allow people to laugh at the show. both of which would hurt the brand. if it ends up as an underdog does good and wins type story im not sure the public would buy into that

#32 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

So apparently some plot details have leaked. Sounds bloody horrible imo. http://blog.musicalt...-to-offend.html

#33 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostFireFingers, on 10 February 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

So apparently some plot details have leaked. Sounds bloody horrible imo. http://blog.musicalt...-to-offend.html

I know you can be inventive with a script, but Alexandra didn't have much story in X factor 2008. She picked up enough votes when Diana Vickers and Ruth Lorenzo went, and had a pretty  journey free progress.  That was also the series where they couldn't think what to do with the very talented (judging from her performance in  Little Voice) Miss Vickers  - who went out to the ridiculously untalented Eoghan Quinn, who topped the vote for 6 /11 weeks. Its also the series where the mega successful JLS couldn't actually win the vote.

As Titan said above,  you could make a comedy  of that,  but Alexandra is one of the better winners they have had and I can't see them detailing how silly votes,  judges and production  choices, and inability to use the  talent they had, may have shaped the outcome. The blog on the script suggests they will make some people into joke figures and then portray the show on the whole as a succss in finding new talent - its pretty optimistic to think they could get away with only going that far - even if they didn't turn on their own past and present cast. And ,even if they did, they would be repeating the musical Viva starts out to be,  and then forgets about.

#34 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

View PostJamiem, on 28 January 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Do you think you might be a snob?
Just a thought

Talking as someone who liked Loserville, not at all..

I'm interested to see what Harry Hill has dreamed up around TXF, but do wonder if this will be the next Bridget Jones (i.e. it spends so long in development that the entire thing seems to come off hinges).

View Postdjp, on 10 February 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

As Titan said above,  you could make a comedy  of that,  but Alexandra is one of the better winners they have had and I can't see them detailing how silly votes,  judges and production  choices, and inability to use the  talent they had, may have shaped the outcome. The blog on the script suggests they will make some people into joke figures and then portray the show on the whole as a succss in finding new talent - its pretty optimistic to think they could get away with only going that far - even if they didn't turn on their own past and present cast. And ,even if they did, they would be repeating the musical Viva starts out to be,  and then forgets about.

One things for sure, you can bet a fair wager the musical will not speak ill of the way the actual show is produced, despite the blatant tactics they have used in recent years to guide the result in the way they want.

#35 hitster

hitster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

The songs performed on X-Factor are mainly cover songs so would they use songs from the Scyo back catalogue or would they write new songs as getting the rights to a lot of standards would be fairly hard.

One idea for a jukebox musical this brought to mind was one based on the PWL back catalogue which Pete Waterman controls.

#36 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostJamiem, on 29 January 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

You know what?
It's showbusiness.... who knows what works....  but at the end of the day they're out there putting on a NEW show
What the hell are you lot doing?

Not working in 'showbusiness' - have you got a problem with that?  Not all of us are involved in the business, you know, and nor do we all want to be.

What we all are though, is paying customers, who want to see good shows, not crap, filling West End theatres.  Nothing I've heard about this show makes me think that it will be anything other than crap, and that's my prerogative to think that, so maybe try not posting such childish remarks in future.

#37 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

this has the potential to be the biggest ever flop the westend has ever seen! i imagine a lot of performers being advised not to risk auditioning for this hahaha

#38 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Whats depressing is that you just wouldn't get this kind of trashy tat on broadway. All of these lazy shows clogging our theatres... Like Thriller, let it be.. Dreamboats are gradually eroding londons reputation for high quality shows. No wonder so many of our creative talents choose to work elsewhere when this is the level of show on offer. Depressing.

#39 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

erm broadway has had plenty of tacky shows

#40 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

the difference between broadway tacky shows and west end tacky shows is they have a huge space for many different styles of show, none of which set out to be tacky. cheesy/stagey maybe but not tacky. whereas here in london they almost pride themselves on producing a musical to be tacky. like its a piss take from the offset. IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users