124 replies to this topic

#11 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Vanessa Kirby will be Isabella, did we know that already?

#12 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostPoly, on 27 March 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Vanessa Kirby will be Isabella, did we know that already?

That's a reason to go in itself..

#13 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

The rehearsal photos are definitely very interesting and atmospheric.

http://www.nationalt...dward-ii?play=1

#14 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Oh dear...

#15 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Tell us more...

#16 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

A couple of friends went last night. They left at the interval. Apparently, there had been no dress rehearsal (shades of the Mirren & Rickman Antony & Cleopatra there) and it's the first preview, so any judgment is most definitely too hasty. However, their comments were they loved Heffernan and Soller, but found the production too gimmicky, too slow and fatally unsexy. And with a projected running time of 2 hours 45 minutes, including interval, FAR too long. Every review I've read from multiple other productions mention the 2 hours straight through nature of the play. So why is it being so stretched here?

Anyway, those are obviously not my views. I am seeing it in a month's time. Hopefully it will have properly bedded in by then.

#17 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'm there Friday. I just hope it's not much longer than the 2hrs45mins the National estimate.

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

A review of sorts of the first half here ... http://boycottingtre...-edward-ii.html

Apparently it was 3 hours 15 last night. But it sounds like they had problems last night and during rehearsals due to the "technical complexity" of the production

Hopefully it will have settled down by the time I see it in a few weeks!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Apparently it was 3 hours 15 last night

Cripes.

#20 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

As usual twitter reaction gives a good sense of 'the crowd' as it were. Given that it's a first preview (and it seems barely that) surely people know how tough it is for the actors and technicians (but then look at War Horse which people were gleefuly lambasting at its first preview)? It looks like something that will be interesting to follow responses to,  just use twitter search for "Edward II" or similar (personal details removed from tweets).

I loved 'The Changeling' so know what to expect, apparently some didn't......

Positive

#ntEdwardII is a must see: http://londonist.com/2013/08/five-reasons-to-see-edward-ii-at-the-national-theatre.php?showpage=4#gallery-1 …. Powerful performance by @vanessa_kirby - what a voice!

Saw the 1st previews (or rather the dress rehearsal!) for Marlowe's Edward II at the NT last night. Shocking and compelling!

Edward II at the nationalis brilliant, crazy & fun!!

off topic... thoroughly enjoyed first preview of Edward II @NationalTheatre last night - very impressive show, esp with no dress rehearsal!

Loved Edward II. Some will hate it. But there's no doubt the inside of @JoeHillGibbins's head is one of the world's more interesting places

First preview of #ntEdwardII - a visual treat, dynamic, and full of interesting ideas. Catch it @NationalTheatre

Would really encourage any thesp friends to go and see @NationalTheatre's Edward II. Never seen anything quite like it (in a very good way).

Really enjoyed the first preview #EdwardII @NationalTheatre last night! The most innovative take on a classic I've seen in the Olivier #go

Went to see the preview performance of Edward II @NationalTheatre last nite. Brave production, clever concept. Good cast. Worth a look!

Wow what a show #ntEdwardII @NationalTheatre.

Go see Edward 2nd at @NationalTheatre @JoeHillGibbins great piece never knew it could be so entertaining

5 stars for #Edwardii. This is an incredibly silly, bold and often outrageous production. Never seen anything quite like it @nationaltheatre

@JoeHillGibbins you've created some thing pretty exceptional with Edward II. Kudos.

Front row and opening night of Edward II at the National- was brilliant!

Everyone must see Edward II at The National. It's FABULOUS.

It's simply wonderful seeing @vanessa__kirby back on stage! :) loved it tonight. #EdwardII

Mixed to positive

Went to the national theatre for the first time tonight. Was very good but does any play really need to be over 3hrs long?

Also, it has some big flaws in 1st half that needs fixing, but really loved Edward II - oddly surreal, intense and rewardingly challenging.

We went to see that Edward II at the NT tonight. Mostly enjoyed it; won't say too much more as it was the very first night, bless 'em.

Saw #EdwardII preview tonight at #NationalTheatre ambitious production came together 2nd half gt perfs @johnjheffernan @vanessa__kirby

Negative

Edward II at the National Theatre. Preview night 1. Pretty bad. Felt like student improv. Cheap gimmicks. Needs serious work. Largely guff.

I'm not saying that Edward II was a disaster, but many people left after the interval. It also went on 30 mins longer than it should have.

Edward II might be one of those plays that will be judged on % audience walkout. 21:45 second half start! Actors good when allowed to act

Negative and posted before end of show

@NationalTheatre Edward II not good, I left at interval. Among many probs - staging a mess and quite crude stereotyping in portrayal of Ed

My ghast has been flabbered by what could be the worst play I have ever seen. Left at intermission @NationalTheatre

Edward II at National. First half guff, second half no idea. I'm home already. NT really needs a QAT department. It's up there with Fram.

Left at interval (a rarity for us). Did second half improve? #EdwardII

I don't mind that #EdwardII wasn't fully ready for tonight. I do mind that it values concept I've comprehension. Doesn't feel ready.

And from a different angle –

Lady behind me tutted at men kissing each other. She did not return after interval. Apparently someone didn't read their history. #EdwardII

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users