18 replies to this topic

#11 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Just to update, after seeing this today with my bargain ticket - I went with not very high expectations after seeing the luke-warm reviews, but it completely drew me in. Mariah Gale was as excellent as I'd expect her to be, having seen her be excellent in other productions, but the whole cast was really good and worked together well. Really loved the play itself as well - four very different, rounded characters and lots of geek jokes - pretty perfect for a cold Sunday afternoon! Very much recommended, especially if you can pick up a discounted ticket.

#12 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

Saw it today as well and thought it was great. Mariah Gale is getting better and better every time I see her and the rest of the cast was pretty good too, great chemistry between her Catherine and Jamie Parkers Hal.

There were about 3 minutes of slightly stilted dialogue at the beginning of the play (warm-up required for Sunday matinees, I think) and the rest flowed really nicely.

Yay for reduced price tickets, since I probably would have missed this otherwise.

londontheatredirect has another discount offer for Proof running until the 27th of April, comes to about £23 with booking fees included. Not as nice as the lastminute offer, but still better than full price

#13 stewart

stewart

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I also noticed the dialogue at the beginning was a bit stilted, especially coming from Mariah Gale--must be some sort of choice she is making at the beginning, which I didn't quite understand but as the play moves along she provides a great performance. Also didn't quite understand why Emma Cuniffe seemed to have hints of a New York accent...when she's suppose to be from Chicago and none of the other characters seem to have a specific accent. Dialect issues aside, it's still a really beautiful play and the production doesn't disappoint. Really strong work from Matthew Marsh as well.

#14 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I saw this last night - I thought the play itself was OK but a bit inconsequential and thin - it left me hungry for something a bit meatier! However, the performances really made it worth seeing, particularly Mariah Gale - she really is on fire at the moment. She was the main reason I booked, after seeing her in the Young Vic's Three Sisters, and she didn't disappoint - would be great to see her in a really big classic role. Good set too.

It was my first visit to the Menier Chocolate Factory - a nice space, I thought, though maybe a bit lacking in atmosphere or something... There was a pretty good-sized audience last night - only the front side bits empty...

#15 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Can't agree that the play is inconsequential.  To me it's a great piece of writing, intelligent, witty and carefully crafted. Terrific production from Polly Findlay and terrific cast, especially Mariah Gale, as everyone has noted.  

Re Emma Cunniffe's accent, that was not New York but the real sound of Chicago. The others were doing generic midwest.  Not sure why she was the only family member going authentic.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#16 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Really enjoyed this last night.It did feel a bit shouty at the start but when it got more emotional it was wonderful.

#17 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Jaqs, we were at the same show!  Where were you sitting?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#18 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Saw this last night. It's one of my favourite plays of the last 20 years and I was very much looking forward to it. It did not disappoint. Mariah Gale was truly exceptional as Catherine, the only performance I've seen of it since Mary Louise Parker where you could genuinely believe she might actually be crazy. So raw and emotional. Amazing. Jamie Parker was totally charming as Hal too. The set was fantastic. Loved it. Shame it really hasn't found an audience though.

#19 bingomatic

bingomatic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I saw this last night.  Fairly good sized crowd with only the stage right seating noticeably empty.

Mariah Gale really was exceptional.  Best performance I've seen this year (although I haven't seen that much!).  Rest of the cast were great, Matthew Marsh as the father was convincing. Set was excellent.  Loved the actors being on stage before the two acts started.

Only downside - the programme, very poor (!) And £3 as well..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users