57 replies to this topic

#21 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hated it. Left at the interval. Sets and costumes are good though. Not a fan of actors holding scripts on stage though.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#22 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postmallardo, on 05 February 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Poly, your blog review is extremely eloquent and on the money and I must say I pretty much agree with you.

That's so lovely of you to say so. Thank you.

#23 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

A rave review on this site, but the Independent's choice words include "swollen", "heavy handed" and "elephantine". The Standard concurs on "heavy handed" and says the enjoyable scenes are "a long time coming"
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#24 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

I agree with many of the comments here - a potentially good play but it didn't come across too well.  I have always liked Anthony Sher but didn't think his performance strong enough to keep this production alive.
One point I have raised before - I was seated in the front stalls and could clearly see that occasionally one or two actors were equipped with microphones; I do hope this isn't going to become the norm at the National - after all, one of the reasons we go to the theatre is to see traditional acting skills on display and microphones are not what I for one would expect.

#25 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Is there any singing in this? If so, that would explain the mics. They did the same for The Magistrate, though the mics were only used during the musical interludes. All other times they projected, as they should.

#26 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'm glad I held out on booking for this one in revenge for Travelling Light!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#27 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 07 February 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Is there any singing in this? If so, that would explain the mics. They did the same for The Magistrate, though the mics were only used during the musical interludes. All other times they projected, as they should.

Or didn't, in the case of the female cast. I couldn't hear a word they said and left at the interval.

#28 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yes, there is singing and a marching band.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#29 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I recall reading over a decade ago that subtle electronic sound enhancement is regularly deployed in the Olivier theatre because of its problemmatic acoustics. The theatre has a greater air volume than any other, I seem to remember. They try to disguise this sound enhancement because some audience members would be distracted if they were aware of it. I think the gist of the enhancement is that in a theatre with a good acoustic the audience hears direct sound from the actor and also naturally reflected sound from the back of the stage and from the back and sides of the auditorium. Unfortunately, in the Olivier most of the direct sound dissipates in its massive air volume and so very little reaches a reflective wall. So it's much harder for actors to be clearly heard in the Olivier unless there is sound enhancement which works by broadcasting slightly delayed live sound from places around the theatre which would naturally reflect sound in a better designed auditorium. I find it really noticeable that it's really difficult to hear an actor in the Olivier whenever they change the direction of their head because the direct and naturally reflected sound there moves so that it comes from a completely different part of the theatre or disappears altogether. An actor who changes direction in an acoustically satisfactory proscenium theatre can still be heard by projecting because the acoustics carry the sound to everyone but in the Olivier projecting simply shoots louder sound in the same limited direction. From the front row, you're least aware of all this because you're the closest to the source of the direct sound, but kindly remember that most people are not! The microphones you saw may be used when the actors are speaking from certain specific positions which have particular acoustic challenges.

#30 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostPaulR, on 07 February 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Or didn't, in the case of the female cast. I couldn't hear a word they said and left at the interval.
I thought it was only me! What is it about the lack of projection these days? The old guys have no problem. You can hear a whisper in the gallery so to speak but some of the young actors just don't project. Do they think it is artificial because if done right it ain't. I remember sitting right at the back of the gallery in the old RSC in Stratford back in the day and right at the top of the Old Vic and you could hear every word and no shouting. Before I start sounding like the old fogey I am fast becoming, there are plenty of actors under 40 [!] who can hack it so why not all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users