57 replies to this topic

#41 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Anthony Sher is winning, especially when he puts on the uniform. Unfortunately, the first two thirds of the play is dull. The play must have lost something in translation.

#42 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

View Poststeveatplays, on 16 February 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Anthony Sher is winning, especially when he puts on the uniform. Unfortunately, the first two thirds of the play is dull. The play must have lost something in translation.

The translation is tin-eared but that is a minor problem. The play is interesting with its echoes of Gogol, Brecht, Kafka and (surprisingly) Pinter, and it was a big hit the last time the NT staged it (with Paul Scofield). Sher is good. But everything is ruined by an absurdly overblown and inappropriate production by Adrian Noble - he should have gone the whole hog and just commissioned a musical based on it because that's what he seemes to have wanted to direct, right down to the extended song and dance interludes to cover the large scene changes - it is ridiculous that a play coming out of the Brechtian era should have been produced in this way.

#43 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

I'm thinking of returning my ticket for this.  Could only get a single £12 so going on my own and I'm out 4 nights out of 5 next week as it stands.

Any views?
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#44 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

I enjoyed it. Act 1 is long winded, bitty and it takes ages to get going, but Act 2 is great fun - inc a satirical look at administration in gov't departments - and Antony Sher is v good. I've not really liked him before, but was impressed by him in this.

Good set, too. The revolve is used lots and lots.

#45 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

'Fraid it fell into that equation of the more the stage goes round and round and up and down the lower the quality of the play. What is it with the Olivier? Can't they keep still? The text of thsi play is very weak in parts, espesh second half of Act One which is turgid. Yes, Act Two fulfils the intention of satire on the German bureaucratic system and' following orders' [ written just before the Hitler takeover and perhaps predicting it, this doesn't actually come over as funny to me  ] but excuse me for mentioning it but The Caucasian Chalk Circle says exactly the same better in every possible way. If we are going to delve into the German psyche, what about a contemporary German play? As far as we know the NT is not meant ot be the Historical NT, so why dig up this quaint piece? Show us what is going on now? Someone in Germany must be writing something passable about the problems they are having now with immigration, the integration of the Eastern part, money,  etc etc...it can't be all 'O look at us, silly things, how we fell for fascism'.

Antony Sher good - he can carry pretty well anything. The rest did what they are paid [ inadequately ] to do. Having seen Our Country's Good this week at the St James - better play, acted with conviction, basic set etc and reasonable price tickets -  I can only weep at the waste of money I have just seen this evening at the Olivier.

#46 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

ps Epi - I agree if anything a musical. But then it might have ended up a bit like Springtime for Hitler......

#47 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 March 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

ps Epi - I agree if anything a musical. But then it might have ended up a bit like Springtime for Hitler......

But then at least it would have been funny.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#48 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Postmallardo, on 23 March 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

But then at least it would have been funny.

I suppose everyone who wanted to has seen it by now (or maybe it has closed) so spoilers don't apply, but one of the most unnecessary and embarrassing bits of business I have ever seen was the empty uniform mime interlude at the end - spelling it out for the hard of thinking using a piece of theatre for the under-5s. I'm not sure Adrian Noble will be invited back again.

#49 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

O I thought the singing in the dinner scene was awful - I would have left but I remembered you guys said the second half was better. Agree the puppet thing dire. Poor A Sher - when will he get something worthy of his skill?

#50 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users