22 replies to this topic

#11 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thanks, Pharoah's number 2. I had no idea he directed Betty Blue Eyes. I don't think they really make much of his name considering what pedigree he has.

#12 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

He's doing The Pajama Game at Chichester this year, too, I believe.

#13 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Anyone know the dates for Light Princess? the NT website is useless, i've tried searching for Light Princess  and all I get isTravelling Light - like I want to remember that!

- Will it be the usual of announcing the details once it's gone on sale? some of us love *need* to plan ...

Many thanks

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#14 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

At the bottom of the NT's homepage is a link to the "Press" webpage where you can download all press releases. The Light Princess will open in the Lyttelton in October, playing in rep with first Liola (opening in August) and then From Morning to Midnight (from November).

The What's On / Calendar View / Season webpage is occasionally updated to confirm which new productions will be booking in the forthcoming season brochure but there's no info there at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they open booking early for this musical in the next season brochure, like they did for The Count of Monte Cristo ...

#15 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 January 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Bijan Sheibani has a chance to redeem himself after Damned by Despair, by staging Emily and The Detectives in the Olivier from November.

Oh dear, this is PC gone wrong! Why change Emile's sex??!!
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#16 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 23 February 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

At the bottom of the NT's homepage is a link to the "Press" webpage where you can download all press releases. The Light Princess will open in the Lyttelton in October, playing in rep with first Liola (opening in August) and then From Morning to Midnight (from November).

The What's On / Calendar View / Season webpage is occasionally updated to confirm which new productions will be booking in the forthcoming season brochure but there's no info there at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they open booking early for this musical in the next season brochure, like they did for The Count of Monte Cristo ...

Thanks

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#17 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostSchuttep, on 24 February 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

[/size]

Oh dear, this is PC gone wrong! Why change Emile's sex??!!

That is idiotic. Having a young girl sent off on her own in a train and being possibly drugged by a middle-aged man in the carriage carries with it some unpleasant baggage that you could just about avoid by sticking to the original. Unless they are changing the gender of everyone else of course.

Actually there is no case at all for changing the gender, it's not as if parts for child actors are overwhelmingly skewed towards male roles (Matilda to name but one).

Bijan  Sheibani is a like a Premier League referee, after an enormous screw-up (Damned by Despair) they have relegated him to the minor league of children's theatre for his next game. I wonder if to bolster his right-on leftie PC credentials he'll work in some references to the rise of the Nazi party in Germany ? I bet he does.

#18 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think P's#2 accidentally added "-y" to "Emil" and then Schuttep made an anti-equality joke riffing on this slip-up.

#19 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 25 February 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

That is idiotic. Having a young girl sent off on her own in a train and being possibly drugged by a middle-aged man in the carriage carries with it some unpleasant baggage that you could just about avoid by sticking to the original. Unless they are changing the gender of everyone else of course.

Actually there is no case at all for changing the gender, it's not as if parts for child actors are overwhelmingly skewed towards male roles (Matilda to name but one).

Bijan  Sheibani is a like a Premier League referee, after an enormous screw-up (Damned by Despair) they have relegated him to the minor league of children's theatre for his next game. I wonder if to bolster his right-on leftie PC credentials he'll work in some references to the rise of the Nazi party in Germany ? I bet he does.

Hmm...  I wonder if the NT's accountants think of War Horse as 'minor league'. As for his leftie PC credentials, you think a play set in 1929 Germany should *ignore* the fact that there were quite a few Nazis around then?

And I'm glad someone else realised that Emily was clearly a typo.

#20 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 25 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

I think P's#2 accidentally added "-y" to "Emil" and then Schuttep made an anti-equality joke riffing on this slip-up.

Yes, sorry- typo there. To confirm things, this is taken from the NT press release:

In November, Bijan Sheibani will stage a new production of the classic children’s adventure EMIL AND THE DETECTIVES by Erich Kästner, adapted by Carl Miller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users