242 replies to this topic

#1 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

This October Nicholas Hytner will be directing a celebration of 50 years of the National Theatre (it'll be on BBC2 too) with excerpts of many of its best productions.  He's asked for suggestions.  Here are mine (I've only been going for the past 25):

New plays:
Arcadia, Angels in America, A Question of Attribution, Dealer's Choice, Racing Demon, Copenhagen (and plays I saw in later productions:  True West, Tales from Hollywood, Glengarry Glenn Ross)

Shakespeare:
Ian Holm as Lear (Richard Eyre), Ian McKellen's Richard III (Eyre), the Mendes/SRB Othello, the Warner/Fiona Shaw Richard II, the Nunn/Goodman Merchant of Venice

Other classics:
Fuente Ovejuna (directed by Declan Donellan), Sweeney Todd (Donellan), Guys and Dolls (Eyre), An Inspector Calls (Daldry), The Caucasian Chalk Circle (McBurney), Summerfolk (Nunn)

What are yours?

#2 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Can I request, in vain I suspect, that we don't have Joey and the puppets from War Horse trotting about in this?

#3 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

The biggest success in their 50 year history, so I'm thinking it'll get a mention.........

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5141 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Not bad, Whenindisgrace. You've mentioned everything i would have! If they could put on Guys and Dolls I'd be happy with that on its own. But you can't recreate can you, a show in its time with the actors of the time?

#5 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I heard that they're going to acknowledge the bitter as well as the sweet with a one-off show "Framned By Despair".

#6 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

They're also negotiating for a show where one of the Hausmanns marries one of the Rosenbergs.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#7 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Amadeus, The Rivals (MIchael Horden), Midsummer Night's Dream (Bryden/Scofield), A Kind of Alaska, Glengarry Glen Ross, Strider the Story of a Horse, Coriolanus (McKellen), The Mysteries, A View from the Bridge, The Shaughraun, Hedda Gabler (Davies/Stevenson), Richard III (McKellen), John Gabriel Borkman (Scofield), Merchant of Venice, Summerfolk, Loves Labour's Lost, Measure for Measure (Complicite), Time and the Conways, After the Dance,

#8 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

The Pillowman

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5141 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Free macaroons distributed to dayseaters  of course.

#10 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

On the one hand, the £300 and £500 tickets make me think this will be a spectacle on an unimaginably grand level.  On the other, £300 and £500!?!?!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users