• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#241 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostMonteverdi, on 05 November 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Don't forget Diana Rigg in Jumpers, a very significant production - she did many plays there and at the Old Vic. I particularly remember Heartbreak House - what a cast that was.

I also wondered where Diana Rigg was. Well, I wondered for a couple of seconds and then became so overwhelmed with the entire experience, I've completely forgotten about her (until now).
I don't even know what to say about the celebration itself, it felt so unreal to be there and it still does. Especially since I never thought I'd be there in the first place and am not entirely sure how I ended up with a ticket. I passed by the NT in the morning just in case, only to see the ''No Day Seats'' notices all over the main entrance. But being the psycho I am, I decided to return in the evening to see who's there and at least feel a bit of the atmosphere surrounding it. So, there I was in the hall sipping my drink (in order to look less of a gawking fangirl loony), feeling rather happy I'd got to see the likes of Tom Stoppard, Trevor Nunn, Maureen Lipman, Imelda Staunton in flesh (plus various younger WE actors), and was about to go home when I spotted a small group of dressed-down people in a corner. They looked pretty out of place and in the company of an usherette, so I decided to approach them to see what it's all about. All I could make through the noise (and slight alcohol haze - they seem to pour a decent amount of gin in G&T at the NT) was the usherette telling them to wait until everyone had got in and then to head to the top of the Olivier circle. I still thought they must be the ballot winners or some kind of NT volunteers or theatre students or something and they actually had tickets, but nevertheless I couldn't leave without giving it a try. And when the hall was almost empty and the usherette came back with a bunch of tickets she started handing out to the group, I think I must have had a little bout of insanity since I just grabbed one and started running up the stairs as fast as I could with my drink and all. So I got a seat, got the free brochure and watched the show.
I still have no idea who those people were and why they got free tickets. The ticket I have says ''Filler'', but two things still puzzle me - why they weren't sold as day seats, and how those people knew free tickets would be handed out?? I noticed some of them clutched a printed copy of the Olivier seating plan - a mystery.
Oh, and after the show, there was some kind of a cocktail organised in the hall - I ate some mini-quiches from the same plate as Tom Stoppard. :lol:  Also, the actors who performed joined in, so I also got to see Ralph Finnes, Simon R-B, Benedict Cumberbatch and probably some more, but my brain is still a bit fuzzy about the whole experience. the wine was free so I got pretty sloshed on top of all and barely manged to navigate my way back home...
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

#242 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

#243 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 11 December 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

I once met a judge on a train who gleefully told me in detail how he skilfully managed to outsmart the other disappointed at an event with no remaining tickets. He acquired a return through a cunning strategy reliant on feigned naivety and then also smuggled in his nervous companion, who was still without a ticket, by deploying Derren Brown-esque distraction and false perception techniques. The British judiciary - best in the world, old chap!

Oh dear. I feel like such a crook now. And not a very smart one at that, since I had no cunning plan at all - I just couldn't make myself leave the theatre, and ran into those people by pure chance (especially since the hall was packed). After the first bout of frenzy had passed, I did start wondering if I had snatched someone's ticket, but we all sat in the same corner of the circles and I didn't notice anyone complain - it appears everyone from the group got a seat despite my stealing the ticket.
I must admit I feel far more puzzled by it all than smug. But in a state of utter disbelief above all.
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users