242 replies to this topic

#21 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

No, as much as I love theatre nothing is worth £500. I shall watch it on the TV. Although I am a bit confused about this ( possibly my age ) as to how these shows can be "re-created"? That is the joy of theatre - it is completely "of the moment" and transient and only lives on in the memory.

#22 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

#23 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Indeed. I do support arts organisations whenever possible. I'm just thinking for that price ticket, it should be a good show. I think  the people who will be there don't necessarily support theatre in blind faith but actually expect something.. Just saying..

#24 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Well I remember seeing the opening productions in all 3 theatres and have been going regularly since then, so I also want things like Lark Rise (what fun that was for a schoolkid) and Tamburlaine the Great and State of Revolution and No Man's Land and The Oresteia (and, later, The Coast of Utopia). The only problem is that I want the original casts in them, wonderful people like Michael Bryant playing Lenin and Ralph Richardson playing Hirst. Couldn't they get Albert Finney to reprise a bit of Tamburlaine, though maybe not in a loincloth this time? And does anyone else remember the public rehearsals of Tamburlaine they held out on the terrace that gorgeous summer of 1976, where passers by sat on the ground in a ring, because the Olivier wasn't ready? That's when I fell in love with theatre. They should do that again.

#25 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

#26 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostAlexandra, on 04 July 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Well I remember seeing the opening productions in all 3 theatres and have been going regularly since then, so I also want things like Lark Rise (what fun that was for a schoolkid) and Tamburlaine the Great and State of Revolution and No Man's Land and The Oresteia (and, later, The Coast of Utopia). The only problem is that I want the original casts in them, wonderful people like Michael Bryant playing Lenin and Ralph Richardson playing Hirst. Couldn't they get Albert Finney to reprise a bit of Tamburlaine, though maybe not in a loincloth this time? And does anyone else remember the public rehearsals of Tamburlaine they held out on the terrace that gorgeous summer of 1976, where passers by sat on the ground in a ring, because the Olivier wasn't ready? That's when I fell in love with theatre. They should do that again.

If they could get anywhere near the magic of Lark Rise I would hand over the credit card happily.

#27 Ronsdivas

Ronsdivas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:theatre/musical theatre/opera/reading/travelling/CD collecting/Disney/my 3 bulldogs: Emma/Edith & Lily

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

I would also include Dame Judi Dench and company in excerpts from "A Little Night Music".

#28 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hello, Ronsdivas, not met you before. Welcome to the Board. Hope to 'see' you in UK.

#29 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

and let's not forget a bit of Romans in Britain to spice things up a bit. And then go straight into 'Out there - someone's gonna love you warts and all' from Honk for a bit of contrast.

#30 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2087 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Or perhaps a verbatim theatre piece based on the Romans trial
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users