#81 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

But my heart sinks at reports of giggling

Woman sitting one seat over from me was obviously a massive Kinnear fan and finds his every word an absolute laugh riot, as she was really giving it some welly during some of the more intense and dramatic moments. I'm going again in July, I'm hoping for a slightly less laugh prone crowd.

#82 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Seeing this soon, the comments here whetting my appetite. From my experience, Othello does have a history of giggling in the wrong places. It is so highly emotional and , let us say, sexy. But it is meant to be funny in places. Iago uses us, the onlookers just as a stand up comedian does these days. . We know! This is the genius of Shakespeare. We are complicit and stay silent. Can't wait.
ps will try not to drool over the leads, both of whom I love.

#83 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Now booked for two of the £12 tickets just in front of the central aisle for my brother's birthday at the end of July.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#84 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Magnificent. Wonderful performances and for me the army setting worked brilliantly; for the first time I understood why Othello believes Iago rather than Desdemona - they're brothers in arms, he trusts him, he has to. Othello, Iago, Cassio, Desdemona, Emilia all excellent, and pretty much everyone else was too. What a handy actor Nick Sampson is - so reliably good. I'm going to miss Hytner's exceptionally clear, well-conceived productions in the Olivier. Btw stage left was a great place to sit for this. I'm not sure quite how it would appear from stage right.

#85 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thought this was as dull as dish water. Agree it is very easy to understand,  but only Lyndsey Marshall's Emilia show's any real passion. The entire production is very beige, the set, costumes and performances.. Don't give yourself a hard time if you've missed out on tickets. More on the blog as usual http://www.frontrowd...aturday-20.html

#86 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 20 April 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Magnificent. Wonderful performances and for me the army setting worked brilliantly; for the first time I understood why Othello believes Iago rather than Desdemona - they're brothers in arms, he trusts him, he has to. Othello, Iago, Cassio, Desdemona, Emilia all excellent, and pretty much everyone else was too. What a handy actor Nick Sampson is - so reliably good. I'm going to miss Hytner's exceptionally clear, well-conceived productions in the Olivier. Btw stage left was a great place to sit for this. I'm not sure quite how it would appear from stage right.
I get hopelessly confused about left and right - I was on the low number side and didn't miss anything. Excellent performances but I was wilting a little after 3 1/4 hours

#87 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Yes low numbers = stage left - ideal for the office/bathroom scenes, pretty much everything. But maybe that was false perspective and people the other side felt the same.

#88 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

No, I agree with your first assessment - stage left, auditorium right looks the better view.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#89 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Missed nothing of the office/bathroom from my seat towards the left of the auditorium.
Really enjoyed this, 3+ hours but never dragged. Was dubious about the modern "Camp Bastion" type setting, but worked well, bags of testosterone and machismo. All the cast very good - Desdemona girly without being wet. We can see Iago's a wrong'un from the opening scene when he slyly pockets Roderigo's ciggies. And what a lovely voice Adrian Lester has.

#90 maggiem

maggiem

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

I haven't seen Adrian Lester on stage before, but I did see Rory Kinnear's Hamlet, and his Nicky in "Last of the Hausmanns" on NT Live, both of which I enjoyed immensely.

I had a good feeling about this production when it was announced, and from what people are saying it looks as if I got a ticket for the correct side of the stage as well! Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it in July.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users