#25 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I've recently saw the production.

I see that the consensus about the actor/musician thing is that it is cheap, but it works here. Anatevka feels vibrant with activity; a community working together in 'harmony'. Horwood's direction and choreography is thorough and the highlight would have to be The Dream. Weird and creepy as ever.

Paul Michael Glaser (who by the way played Perchik in the Topol film) has the eccentricity down to a tee and shows the character's struggle to maintain both tradition and his family. The daughters are a delight to watch, and Jennifer Douglas is a spriteful fiddler.

I cannot fault this production; the production is near-perfect. You would never had known that it has just premiered. The only hitch was when one of the bottles was dropped during the dance. If I did have a problem then it is that the production does go through the motions. Perhaps that's why I liked the musician idea, since the license restricts what alterations can be made to the choreography and staging.

Otherwise it's a must see!

Top Price

Full review here in my new blog: http://www.anightatt...k/fiddler-roof/
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#26 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

I think we may have seen the same performance.   agree I thought it was very good also. Not my favourite classic, but as a production it is very strong (and im not a fan of the actor/mus style usually).  The set is simple but very effective and to my surprise it didnt look lost on the vast stage.

for me the only weak link was the actress playing his wife, I found her a bit OTT so some dramatic moments became a bit more comedic.

#27 AddisonMizner

AddisonMizner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

I saw this during its second stop in Nottingham, and was meaning to write a detailed review of the production at the time, but haven't had the chance. However, I'm finally getting around to posting my thoughts now. Well, all I can say is that after a spate of extremely disappointing touring shows (9 TO 5, GHOST), this was absolutely superb (though it helps that the source material is infinitely superior in every way to those two shows). Craig Revel Horwood's direction was slick and nuanced, while the actor-musician concept really worked for the show. Every time an actor used an instrument, even in the transitional music, it was done with such intent and dramatic purpose that nothing was thrown away, and it also helped to create the strong sense of community that runs throughout the show. Furthermore, Sarah Travis' new orchestrations really complimented this wonderful score. I really liked the set and I felt that the majority of the cast were excellent in their respective roles, particularly Paul Michael Glaser as Tevye who came as a real surprise to me. I would however agree with Titan, in that for me, Karen Mann as Golde seemed to overact and play everything for laughs which particularly took away the potency of the emotional moments towards the end of the piece. My only other criticism would be that the first half also seemed a little too long, but saying that I can't think of anything that could have been cut, as every scene served the plot so well. However, these were the only flaws in an otherwise brilliant evening!
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) *****  Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) *****  Les Miserables ***  Gounod: Faust (ROH) ****  Urinetown (St. James Theatre) *****  Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Saw this last night. Firstly the actor musician concept works better here than any other show I've seen. A real sense of community - one bound by music - is created, and the Fiddler feels more integrated into the piece. But sadly that's the most praise I can give this.

It's far too long - 3hrs 5mins - and it feels it. The second act is better than the first, as there are some real advancements in the plot, but act one is just a drag. And I'm afraid I don't think it's a particularly good piece either. Every time I see Fiddler on the Roof I think this, and every time I think that I can't be right. The problem is that the book is weak and contains some terrible lines - bordering on crass when it comes to its portrayal of Russian Jews - and it takes too long to get going and move between musical numbers.

I understand that Craig Revel Horwood hasn't had that much freedom in the choreography and direction, because of licensing constraints, but surely it doesn't stipulate that every line should be spoken in a faux Russian accent? They're speaking Russian, not Russian with an English accent. We don't perform Chekhov, Bulgakov, Gorky etc sounding like Antony Sher channeling a meerkat, so why Fiddler on the Roof? Oh wait, Topol. Well forget Topol and perform it properly- then at least the piece would have a little more sincerity.

Paul Michael Glaser - accent aside - is the strongest performer up there and proves genuinely touching in the final few scenes. It also helps that his beard is genuine, unlike the other men whose stick on beards make them look like wise men in a primary school nativity play. My favourite song of the show 'Miracle of Miracles' is given a really damp rendition by John Trenchard, and the dream sequence looks like something out of Bill Kenwright's Scrooge.

That said it's clearly pulling in the crowds. The 1200 seater Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury was packed last night, and it's a near sell out for the whole week.

#29 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

I saw it last Saturday at the Lowry. Matinee. Stalls and circle full apart from the odd single.

I have no experience of this, I have never even seen the film. I agree it's very long especially act 1. I enjoyed the show but I did want the pace to pick up a bit.

The set was clever but the overall feeling was very grey and depressing. I'm sure this was intentional but I don't think the joy  and humour of the piece was communicated very well. It was like watching a b/w film.  The playing of  instruments was integrated fantastically. A few comments have been made about it being a cheap option but it really works. I think CRH is brilliant at this.

PMG  good, not necessarily  for the voice but the characterisation was great. The guy who played the tailor.... Terrible.

Audience loved it.

#30 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Is it correct that the tour is 3 hours???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users