Slightly Offtopic: How Is The Rst Used For Music?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I've just bought a couple of tickets for popular beat singer Billy Bragg at the RST.  The dissonance between his agit-prop past and the RSC's usual audience is not lost on me or, I suspect, him.  I chose my seats rather at random.  Has anyone been to a musical event at the RST --- I recall KT Tunstall played there last year --- and can comment on how it's set up?

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Bare stage. House lights dim. Single spotlight on stage centre. Trap door opens. Billy Bragg rises through the trap playing guitar and singing "I was a miner..." Billy Bragg then remains on the stage playing guitar and singing and talking to the audience. Finally, Billy Bragg is hoisted up into the flies playing guitar and singing "I'm not looking for a new England. I'm just looking for another girl."

#3 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 02 February 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Bare stage. House lights dim. Single spotlight on stage centre. Trap door opens. Billy Bragg rises through the trap playing guitar and singing "I was a miner..."

To celebrate the ending of the Michael Boyd era, he is covered in a fine stream of coal dust that falls from the flies, glistening in the light.

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I hope he does a jig at the end. Or is that the Globe?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

View Postigb, on 02 February 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

The dissonance between his agit-prop past and the RSC's usual audience

Maybe, after the RST gig, Billy Bragg could move on to the Olivier to recreate Red Wedge in Lynette's funny gap.

I think it's excellent for RSC community relations to use their theatres for a broader range of performances than just their own productions, as long as they aren't perceived as encroaching on other local venues such as Leamington's Royal Spa Centre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users