#101 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postmallardo, on 09 April 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The only American film star I can think of who has struggled to project in a large theatre is Julia Roberts in Three Days of Rain on Broadway a few years ago.  Tom Hanks, who has virtually no stage experience, is, apparently, giving a fine performance on Broadway at the moment as are Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Chastain and any number of others.  The film-actors-can't-do-theatre canard is ripe for burial.

I don't get to Broadway very often but, from ones here, the best have been very good (Christian Slater stands out for me) but there are plenty of Val Kilmer's and Luke Perry's who have been quickly and justly forgotten. Anyway, I didn't say all American film stars, many are fine and some are excellent and they do get bums on seats. It's a bit like a rite of passage for some of them now, doing a play to prove that they can really act.

Slightly off the subject but just looked at the BAFTA nominees and the number who I've also seen on stage is staggering, that's a real compliment to our acting culture.

#102 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 08 April 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

A common complaint where he is concerned though. I couldn't hear him in The Master Builder at the Almeida, a lot of people said the same about the Bridge Project production of The Tempest and when the Donmar production of The Real Thing transferred to the Albery (as it was then), the night I saw it, someone in the stalls yelled at him to speak up, which was greeted with applause.

Disagree on the Master Builer, I could hear him perfectly and it is not a big theatre anyway. I could also hear him at the Old Vic but I was in the front stalls.

The most startling difference between stage and screen presence is Rebecca Hall who has been useless every time I have seen her on stage (particularly in Twelfth Night) but was brilliant in Parade's End on TV.

#103 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I thought Hall was very good in Mrs Warren's Profession years back but when I've seen her since she's been anonymous on stage, very odd.

#104 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostVDCNI, on 09 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I thought Hall was very good in Mrs Warren's Profession years back but when I've seen her since she's been anonymous on stage, very odd.

Yes I must have seen her in that, she got an award for it ? But recently, for example Winters Tale, she has been almost amateurish.

#105 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I thought she was a pretty wonderful Rosalind in her dad's production of As You Like It a few years ago.  I saw it in Los Angeles but I believe it orginated here.  I also liked her in Winter's Tale at the Old Vic.  The fact that I find her stunningly sexy and beautiful might, admittedly, have something to do with it.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#106 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Disagree on the Master Builer, I could hear him perfectly and it is not a big theatre anyway.

I could only hear him when he was shouting, which is what he was doing when he wasn't whispering. There was no middle ground. It was a terrible production anyway and Gemma Arterton was frankly embarrassing. But we digress.

#107 livetheatreco

livetheatreco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Musicals, Plays. Running www.livetheatre.co

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I LOVED trelawny of the wells! Such an amazing show, and great cast! If you have 5 mins spare, my full review is here: http://www.livetheat...relawny-review/
Love going to the theatre, London has so much to offer! Launched www.livetheatre.co in December 2012.

#108 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hi Ben. We are all theatre groupies here but don't use the board to post professional reviews. We can find them ourselves. But please join in the 'balagan'.

#109 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I remember seeing A Streetcar Named Desire in New York aeons ago and I struggled very hard to hear Jessica Lange, Alec Baldwin and Ami Madigan. It was a big theatre, probably designed for musicals, but some of the other actors were quite clear and audible. I noticed people in the theatre using hearing aids and I was very tempted to borrow one myself. Interesting thing is that Alec Baldwin did have theatre experience and, much later, I saw Jessica Lange again in London, and this time I could hear her. So, there you go...

I had difficulty with Amy Irving doing Amadeus, also on Broadway, but maybe it was her diction...

#110 livetheatreco

livetheatreco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Musicals, Plays. Running www.livetheatre.co

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostLynette, on 21 April 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Hi Ben. We are all theatre groupies here but don't use the board to post professional reviews. We can find them ourselves. But please join in the 'balagan'.
Hi Lynette, it's not a professional review, Livetheare is a blog i launched this year. Am a newbie here sorry, didn't know we weren't allowed to post reviews.
B
Love going to the theatre, London has so much to offer! Launched www.livetheatre.co in December 2012.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users