118 replies to this topic

#31 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

elt like I did about Peter Hall’s Twelfth Night.  Once you realise it’s a comedy that’s not really meant to make you laugh or think

Er, the Globe revival with Rylance made me laugh until I cried. The Peter Hall version drained all the comedy out of it and was frankly dull. That you liken your experience of it to this production of Trelawny gives me pause.

#32 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Oh, I didn't mean Twelfth Night the play isn't funny - like you, with Rylance I injured myself laughing.  I meant Hall's interpretation.  I found Hall's version hard going until the yellow stockings, when no-one laughed, at which point I realised Hall's take wasn't "Milk the comedy" or "Explore the pathos", it was "We've got pretty costumes, let's focus on them", after which point I stopped holding my breath, waiting to laugh, and thought "Yes, Rebecca Hall is wearing something pretty..." and the time flew by (relatively).  With this, that moment came earlier, and after that it got better (Act I of this - even now I can't remember a thing about it beyond one quite nice song and nifty use of a basket.  Perhaps only Act I is like TWelfth Night).  THis is better than that Twelfth Night, in that it's about six hours shorter and did make me chortle and try to say something (funny that Wright's first play is better than Hall's 80th birthday play), and Aimee Ffion Edwards is prettier than Simon Callow.  I meant it's comparable as a comedy as opposed to with regards to quality.  That clears things up...  I don't know why I'm defending it so, though, because frankly the thing it's closest to is a moderately nice pastry - pleasant enough at the time and that is it.  Rylance's Twelfth Night was so good that to compare it to food demeans it.  Hall's Twelfth Night was a dropped pancake.

#33 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Actually, having said all that, I'm going to stand up for Peter Hall and say David Ryall was absolutely wonderful in it.  But that's it.  And I do know some people who really liked it, but then again I also know some people who really liked Travelling Light.

#34 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Oh dear another stinker for the Donmar it seems.

#35 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

If you were there Sat night, I bet you were sitting next to my better half! Or were there other people falling asleep?

#36 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Were you in the stalls, quite far round, row C I think?

#37 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'm amazed at these reactions. I've always thought Trelawny was a wonderful play.  So, is it the production?  I'll see for myself this week.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#38 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostNicholas, on 17 February 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

Were you in the stalls, quite far round, row C I think?
We were row c stalls at the end nearest the exit. I was coughing.

#39 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Must have been!  Funny old world!

#40 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostNicholas, on 18 February 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Must have been!  Funny old world!

You do realise that this is like meeting Royalty, only better, Nicholas? B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users