118 replies to this topic

#61 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Turns out he can. I really really enjoyed it. It was sweet and charming, very funny and ultimately ended up being quite moving. Great performances all round and some lovely directorial touches. A couple of empty seats, and a couple more after the interval, which was a shame.

#62 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

I thought it was slow to get going but I really enjoyed it in the end - stronger second half I felt but I actually cared about the characters by then.

Early on it just felt like it should be funnier - it all just fell slightly flat but it perked up once Rose was living with the Grandfather and Great Aunt.

Cast were good but I wasn't entirely convinced by Daniel Kaluuya - it felt like the character should be more passionate than we saw. Cook was excellent in the Kean scene but having him playing the Landlady slightly confused the audience at first - given that it was a play about actors it initally seemed like he was doing a drag act until you realised he was actually playing a woman.

Surprised that (a few) people left at the interval but some of them were in my row and any extra space you can get in the Donmar is a blessing!

#63 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yes, Cook excellent but having him play the landlady was a kinda joke / theatre ref too far for me. Yeah, we geddit, they' re actors.

#64 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I was confused too - I thought at first that he was backstage at a panto or something like that. There didn't seem any real reason for it except to give him a chance to show off.

#65 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

On the radio they said it was because the play has a big cast and  the Donmar can't afford that.
Puzzled. So why choose the play? It isn't really all that good.

#66 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I remember The Family Reunion having more than ten people in the cast. And of the three I've seen, Trelawny is easily the most enjoyable Pinero. Maybe they were grading on a curve?

#67 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I loved the Magistrate and thought Dandy Dick was a lot of fun (though that might have been down to Nicholas Le Prevost's splendid central performance). The Second Mrs Tanqueray is very good and important too in the history of English theatre. I didn't find this *that* interesting

#68 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

If we're talking plays that drag and feel slow, the second act of The Magistrate, good LORD. Drove me to distraction. And I flat out hated Dandy Dick

#69 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Really? I thought the Magistrate really perked up in the second half especially with John Lithgow's monologue.

#70 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

I was taking second act to be the end of the first half, ie, the endless dinner scene. But now you've reminded me of it, Lithgow's monologue fell flat for me too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users