118 replies to this topic

#71 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

I enjoyed The Magistrate despite two of the leads being off sick when I saw it; I loved Dandy Dick but now that I've seen this, I can say that it's my favourite of the three.  Having had no success with the £10 Mondays online booking, I felt incredibly lucky simply to turn up at the theatre today on the off-chance and to find that they still had £10 seats available for the matinee.  And according to the box office staff, the same applied to other performances this week, so the mystery is, why do these seats not appear online?

Anyway, either I am less discriminating than some others who have seen this, or the production has bedded down now, or both, but I really relished it.  Not having seen it before I had nothing to compare it with, but can't imagine it being done much better apart, perhaps, from having a stronger Tom Wrench.  And I think the smaller auditorium was a huge advantage, thinking back to The Magistrate in the Olivier and The Second Mrs Tanqueray at the Rose.  I've never had to sit upstairs at the Donmar before and the seats seem more uncomfortable for having to lean forward or have your view partly blocked by the rail, but for £10 and with an engrossing play to distract you, it's well worth it.

#72 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

so the mystery is, why do these seats not appear online?

They have two separate allocations for the £10 front row seats, one for personal callers and one for online. I guess they can't make the box office allocation available online at any point, or those who try in person and can get nothing would then cry foul. I think, for The Weir, I'm going to queue in person for the £10 seats.

Part of the stage was blocked for me too, but nothing happened in that part of it, so I didn't miss anything. I guess I got lucky in that regard, as it looked like if you were on the high numbers side, you'd have to do a fair chunk of leaning.

#73 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ah, thank you for the ticketing explanation, popcultureboy.  And yes, my seat was number 40, so I was definitely on the "leaning" side!  I think that in future I might well call in and ask about £10 tix for future dates, if that seems to be a more reliable means of securing one.  I had honestly thought my only hope would be an expensive return I probably wouldn't want to pay for.

#74 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2078 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Do they sell these "call in" tickets by phone as well?

I had no idea about this either!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#75 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Do they sell these "call in" tickets by phone as well?

Always worth a try!

#76 yallerybrown

yallerybrown

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

God this was dull and unfunny.  Really let down by Rourke's programming.  Very safe.  I know the next season will be more exciting so let's hope the Donmar picks up its game.

#77 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1282 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I hated it. Plays about 'theatre folk' can be hard work at the best

#78 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1282 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Of times but this was seriously unfunny. The Donmar has totally dropped off my must visit list now .

#79 Stevemar

Stevemar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I enjoyed this - ok, it wasn't fall off your seat funny, but gentle humour, mostly well played and staged. On the same level I would say as The Magistrate but less over the top performances, and the music fitted in with the play more so than the slightly overblown approach for the Magistrate in the Olivier. It reminded me a lot of The Recruiting Officer in terms of some of the humour and approach.

Ron Cook was excellent and his doubling up of roles really worked well. However, the last act (the rehearsal scenes) were drawn out too long and could have done with some heavy editing.

Still, I would agree that the Donmar definitely needs to up its game. The buzz around the place has gone, mostly due to the wish to programme something different, but maybe that was because I admit to having been drawn to the star names and American/European classics and the whole "Donmar style" that Michael Grandage championed. I just feel that the plays so far since Josie Rouke has taken over have been mostly forgettable and the emphasis on more ensemble casts (and less star ,names) has meant that there has been less emphasis on "meaty" roles which are usually more memorable.

#80 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostStevemar, on 09 March 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

but maybe that was because I admit to having been drawn to the star names and American/European classics and the whole "Donmar style" that Michael Grandage championed.

I rarely went because I'm not really interested in star names and American/European Classics (if it's a play I want to see with a star then okay), I've actually been more times this year than since Mendes was there, I bet Billington's bereft though..... I saw Passion and Parade and I thought the style fitted them well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users