#11 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostCoated peanut, on 12 March 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

I thought it was decent enough fun for an £8 ticket, if I forked out real money I'd probably feel a bit more critical. The first half was pretty good, the second was getting a little same-y. I'm not entirely sure that transposing films onto stage is the most brilliant use of a theatre, though I quite liked Deathtrap.

Deathtrap was a play before it was a film, and Turn of the Screw a novel. So I wouldn't class these as screen to stage adaptations.

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Produced in association with Act Productions Limited and Hammer Theatre of Horror. Would the Almeida have touched it with a bargepole if their ACE grant hadn't been significantly reduced? Might a theatre's grant be at further risk if it copes with funding cuts by co-producing tosh? The Turn of Maria Miller's Screw.

However, Rupert Goold approaches to save the day...

#13 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostCoated peanut, on 12 March 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

I thought it was decent enough fun for an £8 ticket, if I forked out real money I'd probably feel a bit more critical. The first half was pretty good, the second was getting a little same-y.

I agree. I too paid £8 and enjoyed the play, though most of my enjoyment was centred on the first half. The girl was especially good the night I went, can't recall which actress though.

I effectively doubled the ticket price by having a Turn of the Screw(driver) cocktail which was nearly £8. The cocktail was nice, but the play was probably better value for its £8. I recommend the tiny little Vietnamese place (two stools) a short walk away north along Upper St - excellent barbecue pork bánh mì
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#14 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Ah, good point pharaoh. I think of both of them as films, since they both have fairly well known film adaptations.

Either way, having just come back from the watching The Cabinet of Dr Caligari at the Arcola, I take everything I said about adapting films for stage back - the play was fab and simple8 are now on my list of companies to stalk.

And I might just check out the little Vietnamese next time I'm at the almeida, last time I ended up with a sandwich from the petrol station

Also tagged with Almeida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users