• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Jame C

Jame C

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Just back from the first preview, and had to post something...booked it coz I needed a cheap show to see with a mate (tickets from a tenner for the previews - sat in the circle slips - corner of stage missing but otherwise great view). Well, this is a show that makes me remember why I love theatre! Great cast all round, music, lyrics, choreography...loved it all - but above all a storyline that drew me in right to the end.

If you check the Arts website and the story sounds a bit odd for a musical, don't be put off....this is a show that deserves to be a hit. Can't wait to see it again!  And no - I have no connection with the production other than being a very happy punter, who wanted to share my excitement at finding an original show that entertained me more than any show has in the recent past.

#2 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Good to hear, I have tickets & like you wasn't really sure what to expect but it sounds worth checking out.
Thanks for the review.

#3 abs2512

abs2512

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Another thanks from me for your 'non spoiler' review.  Seeing this on Monday and can't wait.
Titanic, Barnum, The Colour Purple, Passion Play,, The American Plan, Merrilly We Roll Along, High Society, Bullets and Daffidils, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,  Pride and Prdjudice, Let It Be, Macbeth, Billy Holliday, A Chorus Line, Salad Days, Tailor Made Man,Privates on Parade, Lift, Cabaret, Impotent, Rocky Horror Show, Kiss Me Kate, Loserville, Cinderella, Boy Meets Boy, Constellation, Victor/Victoria, Daddy Long Legs, Ragtime, I Love You Because, Singing in the Rain : Legally Blonde : La Cage Aux Faux : Sunset Boulevard : Million Dollar Quartet : Avenue Q : Much Ado About Nothing : Wicked : Lord Arthur Saville Crime : Blood Brothers : Grease : Mary Poppins : Thrill Me : The Exonerated : Flare Path : Hedder Gabler : Lend Me A Tenor : Crazy for You : Dirty Dancing : The Producers :Jersey Boys : Matilda : Sound of Music : Joseph : The Doctors Dilema :  Volcano : Soul Sister : Never Forget : Ghost : Les Miserables : Love Never Dies : Phantom of the Opera : Mack and Mable : Sweeney Todd : Chicago : Hair : Hairspray : Abigails Party : Rent : Our Boys : The Last Session: War Horse : The Kings Speech : The Wizard of Oz : Cats : Starlight Express : The Phantom of the Opera : Mamma Mia : The Lion King : Love Story : The Tempest : Billy Elliot : The 39 Steps : Oliver : Top Hat : Rock of Ages : One Man Two Govnors : Shrek : Dreamboats and Petticoats : All the Fun of the Fair : Burn the Floor : Betwixt : Ordinary Days : State Fair : Carousel : End of the Rainbow : Cool Hand Luke : The Book of Mormon : Once : Guys and Dolls : South Pacific : Sister Act : Priscilla,

#4 TheatreDust

TheatreDust

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

I was at the first preview last night as well and I will add my praise too. It was a well crafted, really moving show - enhanced by the fact it is based on William and Jimmy's real life story. I was also surprised at how funny it was throughout.

A few technical glitches, but that is only to be expected on a first preview. Mainly sound (minor feedback on a few occasions), but I'd guess it is a difficult venue to get good performer mic levels right in because it is pretty compact!

Spoiler

I am planning to book to see it again before the run ends.  I really hope this production thrives; it deserves a bigger audience than I fear it might get. It would be fantastic to see it transfer into a larger theatre at some point.

#5 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the report, am going tonight.

#6 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Really enjoyed this. It was only the 3rd preview so there were a few moments of awkward forgot lines but by opening night I'm sure they will be a lot smoother. The songs are good and the choreography was also great. Faye Tozer has a fun part as Marion Davies but the main story is a love story between William Haines and Jimmy Shields
Spoiler

#7 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm seeing this next weekend and can't wait! I booked because I like a couple of cast members  and didn't know what to expect from the show. I'm interested to hear what people have to say about the cast, particularly Dylan.

#8 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

It's a lovely show and the cast is very strong. It's great to see Dylan in a leading roll and his voice sounds great with much softer songs than he's been doing recently.

Occasionally things get a bit too stilted but it should bed in fine, look forward to seeing it later in the run.

#9 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

And Vivien? Even in ensemble roles she shines for me. And she was a cracking Velma Kelly!

#10 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I thought Viven was great, really stood out to me.
It's a really lovely piece of theatre, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again once they've settled in more.
Dylan did a wonderful job and this style of music really suits his voice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users