#21 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

View Postmallardo, on 27 February 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Well, you guys have got me intrigued.  I was looking for something to see this weekend and I think I've found it.
they are doing tickets for £20 (usually £37.50) Valid until 31 March. Subject to availability. head to http://thetailormademanlondon.com.
To redeem the offer please type in the promo code 'CULTURE' when booking.

#22 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Saw this last night & quite enjoyed it, a good plot & beautifully staged song & dance numbers, but I thought the dialogue was a bit stilted & clunky. A strong cast though so they carried it off well. This is definitely worth seeing, but I thought it was "nice" rather than spectacular. Shame it was only half full though.

#23 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Yeah, I too enjoyed it without loving it.  There are definitely book issues and tone issues.  They play Billy Haines as a self-destructive wise-cracking hedonist, never serious, always ready with a quip which, I think, was the wrong way to go with the character.  We never see what makes people love him.  And when things go bad and the quips dry up all he's got left is self-pity, never a good thing for your hero.

On the up side it was wonderfully choreographed and staged.  The musical numbers all worked - the company is immensely talented.  Standouts for me were LB Mayer's credo, Family, which Mike McShane really sold and the Pola Negri number with a fabulous Kay Murphy providing a great act one curtain.

I didn't mind the flashback frame which was well handled and provided, as others have said, a strong and poignant ending.

The best thing about the show is the score which is rich and complex in a jazzy and, at times, Sondheimesque way that evokes the period but is not of the period.  The songs are first rate, virtually all of them.  I would be interested in a cast recording.

It was certainly head and shoulders above the last Adam Meggido show I saw - Burlesque at the Jermyn Street Theatre - but Mr. Meggido has different writing partners this time so it seems he's stepping up in class.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#24 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Posttheatrically, on 27 February 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

they are doing tickets for £20 (usually £37.50) Valid until 31 March. Subject to availability. head to http://thetailormademanlondon.com.
To redeem the offer please type in the promo code 'CULTURE' when booking.

Thank you. And thanks everyone for their reviews. Just spontaneously decided to see it today!
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#25 LittleSally

LittleSally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

We loved the show - great cast, great story, witty and moving songs.  Clearly not the biggest budget but very well staged (special mention to Pola Negri!) Highly recommended!

#26 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Right, the long train journey due to signalling problems has been a bit of a distraction, but:

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Agree this is a very good cast. Couldn't take my eyes off Dylan Turner actually - very charismatic and utterly believable as the lead.
Faye Tozer was also very good as Marion Davies. I don't really know Steps, so she wasn't a name to me.
Mike McShane reminded me of an American Helmut Kohl!
Also really enjoyed Bradley Clarkson's performance; he was very likeable.
Kay Murphy also really stood out as Pola Negri! She was definitely the most memorable supporting character.

Overall, the high notes in the songs were always quiet and never belted except at the end of a song (for effect I suppose), but I'm guessing that's to do with the music of the era where belting just wasn't common. I just found it quite noticeable!
Having said that, Dylan, Faye and Bradley sounded amazing together.

The music is very pleasant, with 3 tunes that stuck with me (tailor made man, design and we have time... don't know actual song titles!).
There were a couple of sound issues, but nothing major and overall I'd definitely recommend a visit to this production! In fact, this works really well on a small stage. A transfer to a big West End stage might ruin the feel of the show (and diminish the effect of the moving ending). Speaking of which, part of this musical reminded me of 'Marilyn' as performed in the 'Smash' TV series.

Sadly, the theatre was quite empty, esp. for a Saturday matinee, but hopefully word will get around. With the special offer for full price tickets you really shouldn't miss this!
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#27 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

The scenes with Billy, Jimmy & Marion I couldn't help comparing somewhat with Merrily We Roll Along. While I thought the 3 leads in Merrily had very little chemistry with each other, I thought Dylan, Bradley & Faye worked extremely well together and I completely believed their characters' bond.

#28 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Tonight's performance (Tues 5th) has been cancelled "due to cast illness" but you can re-book tickets with the box office 020 7836 8463
(my friend was going :( )

#29 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

That's strange, I'm sure there was a full set of understudies listed for the main cast? Must be something pretty virulent, maybe they've all caught the runs from HM the Queen.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#30 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

It did sound from twitter like there were server all people struck down. I'm going on Saturday, I hope everyone is better!

I didn't think there were understudies for this show... I'm probably wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users