#32 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi All

Is there any more news on a cast recording? I'd buy it immediately!
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#33 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postxanderl, on 05 March 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

I think the ensemble double for the leads but I may be wrong

If they did, they wouldn't have to have cancelled 2 shows.

I went again last night, loved it even more the second time and I've just booked for a third. It's such a beautiful story and the music is great. I'd buy a cast recording too!

#34 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

It's a great first draft for a show.  The book needs to be looked at - and the sound levels were dreadful for the ensemble.

The time metaphor is rubbish - they should look at the "god's design" element a lot more, and use that as the metaphor from early on.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#35 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 10 March 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

The time metaphor is rubbish - they should look at the "god's design" element a lot more, and use that as the metaphor from early on.

What do you mean?

#36 Candela

Candela

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

No Understudies in the show, Everyone doubles up minus Dylan, Bradley, Clive, Mike, Faye & Shane.
Michael (Who plays Victor) was telling me someone in the band fell ill and got a replacement who also fell ill and then it went around the cast (Few girls were quite unwell and Dylan wasn't to good either)

#37 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Vivien wouldn't tell me, she didn't think it was fair to. But she wasn't sick, she went to a play!!

#38 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

I booked for this based on the reviews here, and I wasn't disappointed. I loved it, simply loved it.

Oh, sure, in the first five minutes I was a bit unimpressed with the lighting and the sound balance, but after that it swept me away. You don't often see complicated, three-dimensional characters in musicals, and yet here they were. Combine that with wonderfully jazzy tunes, a complex yet touching love story, and some great acting turns, and I had a thoroughly lovely evening. The fact that it was a true story (if romanticised a bit, I'm sure) only made it more effective. Yes, I wasn't able to catch all the lyrics - a shame, as I loved the ones I did - and yes, there was a small feedback moment once, but I still came out as happily satisfied as I was after Book of Mormon. Well done, little show, well done.

I may go back to see it again, actually, and sit a bit further away from the stage (I was in row D, thanks to the £20 offer linked above) just to switch things up a bit. :) This one is definitely going in the list of shows I will remember.

#39 xy_whitefaerie

xy_whitefaerie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Agreed, absolutely loved it. Everyone was so sincere in their performances: Dylan Turner had tears in his eyes in some of the scenes. I found Bradley Clarkson especially endearing as Jimmy and Faye Tozer was brilliantly funny in her scenes. Really loved the songs- very memorable tunes that I'm humming them now, and I thought they brought out the emotions of the scenes very well. The choreography was a spectacle to watch even though the set was simple. Romanticised true story, yes, but I don't mind as the story was very touching. I am glad that I didn't research much about the real-life story, as it made the ending just that much more poignant.

theatrically, thanks for posting the promo code!

P/S: I do have a little complaint regarding the seats though. Thought they were uncomfortable... Nonetheless, it was negligible considering how much I enjoyed the musical. Highly recommend everyone to watch it!

#40 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Here's our episode discussing the piece.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users