68 replies to this topic

#1 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yet again... Hilarious results. Mel C best supporting actress... Anything Sheridan does will win for her.. If she read her shopping list onstage she'd win best actress.

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I agree, results very meh.

#3 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

I predict next years winners...

Best actor - someone famous off the telly
Best actress- Sheridan smith
Best supporting actress- Sheridan smith
Best director- someone who directed Sheridan smith
Best play- something starring Sheridan Smith

#4 Horton

Horton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

And the award for the person who is most famous in the category goes to....
It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do

#5 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Absolutely ridiculous yet so predictable. Voted for by such a narrow, young part of the theatre going audience or even people who just vote for their favourite performers as their default position. Mel C, Tim Minchin, Will Young....... Please!!

I don't deny Sheridan Smith was good in Hedda Gabler but she wasn't the best actress. What about Sally Hawkins or better still, Hattie Morahan??

These awards are a complete joke and a waste of time

#6 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

I saw bits of it on the streaming but had to switch off, it looked like a car crash. Maybe next year choose people good at presenting?

#7 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Regional award for the musical that's based on a popular rock band. Very predictable, At least Wonderful Town and Arturo Ui got nominated.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#8 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

I was there & the presenters were actually quite funny (although Mel G got a bit wearing after a while, constantly interrupting everyone). I remember last year finding waching the live stream irritating though. In the theatre, the little problems and ad libs seem amusing but on line they look totally unprofessional!

These awards are always very populist & the star names & big shows always win, but they are enjoyable nontheless. The musical numbers we saw in the theatre were almost all very good - especially the Arts Ed section & David Bedella. Taboo, Spamalot, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, all very slick, although I didn't think the Soho Cinders number worked. Sheridan Smith doing 'Stagey & Proud' was an unexpected treat. JC Superstar confirmed to me that I would rather have seen it in a proper theatre than an arena.

Some categories were very odd - American Idiot a "regional" production? Touring production maybe. And funny to see Maria Friedman nominated as a "newcomer" (I know, it is as a director...but still.)

The organisation of the slide show (and that's literally all it was) announcing the nominations was poor though, looked very amateur. And not to be able to show the sponsors' logos - OMG - I can imagine the grief that would have caused in my business! Also thought Ms Paddock very discourteous to chide Mel & Rufus for swearing, sighing & saying she hoped the sponsors didn't mind - and then swearing like a sailor herself! The poor MD was behind this screen most of the time, funny to see him trying to peer round (and sometimes under) it in order to see whether the winner had arrived on stage yet...!

Nice to see olympic gold medalist Peter Wilson interacting with Rufus Hound & Danny Boyle accepting his award for 'event'. That felt quite special.

I do feel it a shame that a lot of hardworking, lesser known people working in theatre both on & behind the stage don't stand a chance at these awards, but accepting that, it was a great evening and we certainly got to see some stars.

#9 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3362 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Ive gone off the WOS Awards in recent years anyway, but this years is by far the worst example of someone famous winning nearly every catagory. It will always be the case that the bigger shows will win more than smaller shows seen by less people and I dont mind that as such as at least often lesser names have still won who have been in big shows. However in a theatre awards why the hell was a concert at the O2 eligible for nominations. Ridiculous, I dont remember the Phantom and Les Mis concerts being eligible.

I dont mind a touring show being classed as regional as it is in the regions, and not everyone has a regional producing house near them.

#10 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Looking at the winners of this year’s popularity contest and reading this thread makes me proud of my decision not vote

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users