#61 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

View Postvickster51, on 18 February 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

I think these awards results seem to be getting sillier. A few of my votes won but the fact Luke Treadaway didn't win best actor says it all for me before I even think about some of the others!

I totally agree, Luke got my vote as Curious Incident was the highlight of 2012 for me

#62 Whatsonstage.com

Whatsonstage.com

Global Moderator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7744 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hello all

Apologies for not replying sooner. Our small team is still recovering from the Awards, to be honest, and somewhat depleted with folks on holiday, and trying to get back to business as usual.

In any case, yes, we’re reading this and I have tried to address your various points below:

Re: seating - We tried very hard to get all of the nominees into the stalls this year, which we have managed to do in every previous year. Unfortunately and unavoidably, we simply did not have enough tickets in the stalls to make this possible this year at the Palace (a new venue for us, which threw up all sorts of challenges).

Fyi, the nature of the Whatsonstage.com Awards is very different from other awards. Historically, we have always had the massive industry Launch Party in December to announce the shortlists and big up every single nominee, reading out the shortlists to loud roars, doing interviews with everyone attending etc etc. We continue to do this, of course, as we have every year for over a decade.

The Concert is the second event in the Awards season. We only added this to the Awards season six years ago and the idea behind it, and the continued emphasis, was to give access to the public to share in the Awards celebrations and to let them effectively congratulate and applaud their nominees and winners in person. That creates a great atmosphere but it does mean there is even more pressure on tickets, as we make tickets available to the public at all levels – indeed about 70% of the house is open to the public, and these tickets go on sale before we even know what and who has made the shortlists.  We think this focus on public access is very important to maintain.

We had the extra challenge this year of being at a new theatre, as I mentioned – and all sort of extra challenges – fewer seats in the stalls and a much higher RSVP rate from nominees than previous years. By the time we realised how many more tickets we needed in the stalls for nominees, the tickets on that level had all sold out. We recognise that, as the Awards profile grows, this may increasingly become an issue for us and we’ll need to find a solution – but what I never want is to have the stalls/top price seats exclusively for industry folks and the public in the gods. This is against the entire purpose and ethos of our audience-voted awards.

Re: shortlist reading - Again that has been a historic decision related to having a separate event specifically about the shortlists and about creating a format that is unlike other awards shows. However, this is something we will be reconsidering for next year. As the Awards have grown, and many nominees may make one event and not the other and, understandably, not appreciate the history or reasons behind each, it may be wiser to conform more to expectations of traditional Awards events.

Re: the tone of the presenters - The event does have a reputation that has been built on being fun, raucous and slightly irreverent (those who came during the two years James Corden co-hosted will know that this year was quite tame by comparison). All of the hosts banter is done in a well-meaning, tongue in cheek spirit, but it is not to everyone’s taste clearly. It is difficult to strike the right balance. And we will have a think about this again next year.

Re: being there vs watching online - In general, the feedback that we have received from those at the Palace, which was absolutely packed, has been overwhelmingly positive. People seem to realise that, with these one-night events, it is by necessity quite pressured and somewhat flying-by-the-seat of our pants (we only have access to the theatre on the day) and that makes for part of the fun. There are always going to be goofs and slip-ups, which seems to add to the fun. (And raises the stress levels for those of us involved!)

Some of the points raised, therefore, may be down to our limitations with the webcast rather than any change of quality with the production itself, which was very much in the vein and irreverent but well meaning, tongue in cheek spirit of previous concerts. With the webcast, we’d love to broadcast the performances, for instance, but do not have the rights to do so – which we do pre-warn viewers about. We started the webcast last year to try to give more people access to the Awards results as they happen, but if this is not working for our audience, we may reconsider and simply not do the webcast next year. It is an awful lot of work and expense, particularly if it’s not producing a satisfactory result for viewers.

Anyway, thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us. We do read them and we do take them seriously. And, a very serious offer, if any of you would like us to plan or execute next year’s Whatsonstage.com Awards, we would welcome your involvement.

Until then, all the best,

Terri Paddock
Whatsonstage.com

#63 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

As much as I think it is good to give the public a chance to "mingle" amongst the nominees I still don't understand how it wasn't possible to reserve enough seats for the nominees in the stalls.
If I had planned this event I would simply have reserved a seat plus one for each nominee. Even if tickets go on sale before the shortlists are announced it is clear how many nominees there will be in each category so there must be a rough idea how many seats will be needed should every nominee (plus one guest) attend.
In order to make sure those seats can still be sold on in case nominees can't make the event there should simply be a RSVP deadline for the nominees. Just tell everyone in order to secure a seat in the stalls they have to RSVP by a certain date, otherwise they might face being seated elsewhere.

But don't let nominees turn up on the night just to find out they are sitting in the upper circle!

#64 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostSteffi, on 25 February 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

As much as I think it is good to give the public a chance to "mingle" amongst the nominees I still don't understand how it wasn't possible to reserve enough seats for the nominees in the stalls.
If I had planned this event I would simply have reserved a seat plus one for each nominee. Even if tickets go on sale before the shortlists are announced it is clear how many nominees there will be in each category so there must be a rough idea how many seats will be needed should every nominee (plus one guest) attend.
In order to make sure those seats can still be sold on in case nominees can't make the event there should simply be a RSVP deadline for the nominees. Just tell everyone in order to secure a seat in the stalls they have to RSVP by a certain date, otherwise they might face being seated elsewhere.

But don't let nominees turn up on the night just to find out they are sitting in the upper circle!

Exactly.  I don't understand why the correct number of seats cannot be reserved in the stalls, then if people decline you can open them up to public sale afterwards!

#65 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Sorry Terri, but the arguement about it being a new venue and not knowing how many nominees is hogwash.

You knew exactly how many nominees there were, after all you published the list - double that number for the plus 1  and it is very easy to arrive at a total

A quick look in any Theatre Yearbook will tell you how many seats in the stalls at the Palace and as there were nominees who were up for several awards there should have been plenty of seats in the 500 or so available, even if you had specially invited guests..  I have booked WE theatres where we have been able to keep large portions for invited guests.

No I suspect there was another more mercenary agenda, and it was to the detriment of those hard workers who were shoved upstairs.

#66 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

There's always been a roped off VIP section for the celebs, so not exactly totally mingled!

#67 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Really?
The year I went we were all sat together, except michael ball who was in a box, but Kevin Spacey was sat with the rest of us.

#68 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Oh I meant in the bar, sorry that wasn't clearer

#69 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostSteffi, on 25 February 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

I agree, it can't be that hard!! And as poster J says, sell the stalls to the public only once you know how many won't be needed. As to broadcasting the show, having watched the streaming I personally didn't think it was that great, and not worth the money if it was so expensive, you might as well spend it on giving the nominees the stalls! However that is just my opinion seeing a I didn't like the interviews very much or the presenters at all, and I can see that others may disagree. Admittedly, it does allow us to find out the results quickly, although on my computer at least, your twitter feed loaded faster than the streaming.
Lastly, you say that the Launch Party is specifically for all the nominees and this is when they get their moment of glory, but this isn't as big as the concert (for obvious reasons) and not all the public knows about this, so it is just a courtesy to read out their names. It really doesnt take that long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users