#12 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostLynette, on 18 February 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Just been told by a box office bod who no doubt had a straight face at the time that he can't issue me new exchanged tix until they have the old ones in their possession as 'the tickets are the property of the theatre'. Why [ o why] can't they issue tickets so that you don't have to do this? I resent the stamp!

It was the Noel Coward actually - I was changing my Judi Dench tix. So two nice tix for Sat 9th March should be available......

I had to swap my dates for Privates On Parade, and the Noel Coward box office insisted I sent back the original ticket by Special Delivery before they would send out the replacement (which naturally came by standard mail...)

#13 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Of course they did. If you send them regular mail, you run the risk of them getting lost in the post. Then they wouldn't be able to exchange your booking at all.

#14 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

But (returning to the original point) why do they need the ticket back at all? Surely easy to void it with computerised booking systems. Have theatres been stung so often by dodgy customers that all trust / good faith has gone out of the window?

#15 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

It's not just to prevent the theatre being ripped off. It's also to protect the public. It would be easy for someone to exchange their tickets and then sell on the now voided original tickets to some unsuspecting member of the public who wouldn't discover the problem until too late. Then they can sell the exchanged genuine tickets as well and do a disappearing act. Considering the value of tickets these days, someone could make over 100 with nothing more than a temporary mailing address.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#16 blahblah

blahblah

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

I think the title of this post is odd because running a secure box office that protects not only the customer but also the management and accounting, is not "antiquated" - it is efficient.

I think the policy of Delfont Mackintosh theatres (who own the Noel Coward) is very good in allowing exchanges in the first place and I don't think it unreasonable to expect to have the original tickets back before an exchange can take place. There are plenty of "ifs and buts", but consider a person simply turning up with no tickets and just saying "I want to change the tickets to another date/time/show" but not actually having them to hand over. The originals would be needed to back up such a request for accounting purposes, otherwise box office staff could issue "new tickets" to anyone they wanted stating that someone had come in and asked to swap them. Can you imagine on a sold out house like the Judi Dench season turning up to find your seats double booked because "someone" some days/ weeks/months had supposedly or did come in to exchange them to another date? What backup would the box office have to prove this request was made in the first place, and you could then have 4 people trying to sit in 2 seats. This would not only cause a huge problem for the box office/the theatre manager and of course the theatregoers themselves.

It's not antiquated, its common sense.

Put yourself in the customers shoes who buys a ticket at the box office, turns up on the night and there's someone in the seat already with the same seat number. You ask "how can they have the seat as me, I bought this ticket....". If the original poster had their way, the answer from the box office would be "oh but someone came in sometime, said they had bought that ticket, couldnt use it, so we exchanged it to another date, and erm....no, we cant prove it because we exchange tickets without having the original to back up the exchange, and then we resold that ticket to you but for whatever reason, the original ticket holder has now sold/ passed the ticket on to someone else and therefore you will have to leave the theatre because we are now sold out.

What would you prefer?

#17 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Exactly blahblah.
I work in a provincial theatre/cinema box office and we want the tickets back before changing them. It stops the chance of a bunfight at opening time when two people are arguing that they both have the same seat numbers. For every dozen  honest people who promises to tear up the ticket there can be someone who sells them on or more likely, with our clientele, forgets all about it and either turns up on the original night or gives them to a friend forgetting they have swapped them.

#18 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Nice try blah blah but when you book on the phone or online you give your credit card details with the magic number on the back and your address. So how can someone turn up in person and demand an exchange without that info? They already ask for cc when you collect tix from box office. Same thing then. Use the info on the system. Say on the system 'Lynette has exchanged her tickets due to another better social occasion she has been invited to' or have a code word to give that information. Geddit?

If you buy with cash at the box office and then try an exchange, then the box office can say no. Fair dos.

#19 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

The fact the exchanged ticket is invalid wouldn't stop a con=artist reselling it though.

#20 blahblah

blahblah

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostLynette, on 19 February 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Nice try blah blah but when you book on the phone or online you give your credit card details with the magic number on the back and your address. So how can someone turn up in person and demand an exchange without that info? They already ask for cc when you collect tix from box office. Same thing then. Use the info on the system. Say on the system 'Lynette has exchanged her tickets due to another better social occasion she has been invited to' or have a code word to give that information. Geddit?

If you buy with cash at the box office and then try an exchange, then the box office can say no. Fair dos.

Sorry but having the tickets back before doing an exchange is standard practice and makes sense to a box office, its management and accounts dept. If tickets are exchanged without the orginals then as far as i'm concerned then it is open to abuse and has poor management.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users