33 replies to this topic

#21 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've seen several full houses in the main house; Sweeney, Singin', Kiss Me Kate, The Music Man..... all musicals. The plays don't sell as well in there. The Minerva is rarely not full.

#22 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostTitan, on 21 February 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

I have to say im quite disappointed
This. First time for a few years I won't be heading south to the seaside

#23 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think it is an excellent season.

I am VERY suspicious about the David Edgar simply because I think he is a rubbish playwright.

But otherwise there is little filler.....Barnum is taking up so much in terms of resources that I think this will be an amazing experience. It is being worked specifically for the Theatre In The Park so I can't imagine the experience (if it transfers) in London will be anywhere near the same. This applies to all musical transfers I think from CFT and you just can't compare seeing Singing In The Rain for £12 in the front row at Chichester to the less inclusive staging at The Palace.

I also think the membership is great value and is one of the few that actually offers a discount on tickets...something nothing any other major theatres have!

20% off all tickets when booking 4 or more shows is a good deal.

I am particularly excited about Another Country as have never seen this professionally staged but was in it at school for Drama GCSE!!

#24 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostParsley, on 22 February 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

I also think the membership is great value and is one of the few that actually offers a discount on tickets...something nothing any other major theatres have!

RSC Full Membership includes a £10 discount on two bookings per year (so £20 discount in total) in addition to occasional ticket discounts such as the recent £18 discount on Anjin tickets for all performances.

#25 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

And the Barbican has a 20% discount

The RSC discount seems to be a closely guarded secret - only mentioned vaguely on one page. I guess you have to book by phone and ask for it? (Only moved to full membership this year)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#26 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

CFT membership may suit some, but as with most theatre memberships, it seems to me to be aimed at people who pay more for their tix, see more shows at one venue (of course they will want to encourage that) and perhaps go in couples or groups.

Going off-topic now (how about a "Theatre Membership Schemes" thread in General Discussion?)  but as I tend, with CFT, to cherry-pick the few plays or shows I most want to see (average two per summer) and to book the cheapest seats, paying for membership would not only be of no benefit but would represent an unnecessary extra cost.  And personally, I want any money I spend to be invested in actual tickets.  The same applies to those many "multi-buy" schemes which always seem to require you to book for one more production than you actually want to see from a new season!

Some memberships I do consider worthwhile - for my particular circumstances, clearly - for instance, those of the NT and ATG.  The former for a better chance of bagging the aforementioned cheap seats and the latter for excellent discounts and to avoid booking fees.

#27 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

"how about a "Theatre Membership Schemes" thread in General Discussion"

I think that's a great suggestion
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#28 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm a complete Chichester newbie so excuse my probably dumb question but at what time does public booking open on 7th March? I'm assuming 10am but couldn't find any info on the website.

#29 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Booking's open.
www.frontrowdress.com

#30 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

I've decided not to bother this year.  As usual, most of what I want to see is in the Minerva, so more expensive and with smaller capacity.  Plus productions often transfer, though those tend to be from the main house, of which the new temporary building doesn't seem quite the equivalent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users