14 replies to this topic

#1 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Saw this last night in its last preview before press night tonight.  Easily the worst thing I've seen on stage for a while (although I dodged a bullet with Damned by Despair).

It's presented as a 'Play without Decor' so it's a bare stage with a few props.  It's a decent cast, led by Meera Syal and Lucian Msamati but the material they're working with is half-baked and so badly structured.  The basic thrust is about the evils of modern economics, with a nod to Cameron and a big hug to Occupy.  My problem with it is that it introduces a few mildly interesting ideas and then drops them completely.  The basic setup in the early part of the play is abandoned completely about halfway through and then never referred to again.  The words are banal and the characters unbelievable.  

Judging by this interview with the writer he probably doesn't care very much what I think: http://www.standard....n-8492682.html. I've found one positive and one negative online review from the previews, but I'm intrigued as to what others think, whether I am out of line or not.  As things stand, I'm amazed this made it to the main stage of the Royal Court.

#2 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I saw it on Monday

I thought it was decent, but the switch in focus 2/3rds of the way through was a bit off putting. The first segment was a lot better than the second, though the second was funnier and with a bit more heart.

It was decent enough, not really massively exciting though. Some funny lines. 75 minutes long, so does breeze by.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Not yet seen it but it's refreshing to see a playwright writing on an important subject on which they are expert.

http://www.standard....en-8492682.html

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

"Most people who go to the theatre are sort of beyond salvation - a lot of them are annoying middle-class wankers who don't want to work.” from Guardian's interview with author.

I see what you mean HG

#5 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

As my partner points out, being born to US academics and educated at Oxford and Berkeley gives him a unique insight into the trials of the working class.

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Dallardice, your partner sounds like a prime example of the comment on audiences quoted by Lynette. That life history, along with later experience, surely equips a person to analyse global corporate and financial capitalism. At least your partner has an active imagination, having invented the irrelevant topic of the "trials of the working class".

Still not yet seen it but looking forward with interest.

#7 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

HG, the trials of the working class are a core theme of the play and not irrelevant in the least. I'd be very interested in your opinion once you've seen it. Part of my frustration with the play was that the initial setup did showv some knowledge of financial derivatives and capitalism, but the play then didn't do anything with that knowledge, ignoring it completely in what I felt was a more traditional and banal last act. There are various plot points I question which I can't do without engaging spoilers.

I accept that my response and my partner's response to the Standard interview might be kneejerk and childish, but he started it miss! I didn't know anything about the playwright before going and only started doing some research yesterday when I wanted to understand a bit more about the context of the play.

#8 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Looks like lukewarm 2-3 star reviews, good job he 'doesn't care' what critics think!

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

1* from Charles Spencer.

#10 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members