137 replies to this topic

#51 06s091

06s091

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm kinda disappointed in the list of performers - where are the (excuse the term) proper musical theatre performers?
The only ones of the confirmed performers I would call proper musical theatre performers are Michael Ball and Samantha Barks.

Does anyone know if the two tapings will be the same show? I'm just wondering since the tv special will only be 90 minutes long so if it's two different shows being filmed there'll probably be quite a few things that won't make it to the tv special.

ETA: press statement from RUG: http://www.reallyuse...V+Press+Release

#52 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postfreckles, on 14 March 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

These TV audiences always get told to dress up, I think they just mean not to turn up dead scruffy.

Thanks for the help!

#53 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

I was also a bit worried about the dress code as I dont really have smart evening dress apart from shirt and tie type attire that I wear for work.
I guess its just so that people dont turn up in football shirts, ripped jeans etc
I suppose if I dont look the part they can shove me at the back :)

#54 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

I think Michael Ball hosting and singing will be good. I just wish they wouldn't always have to have him sing "Love Changes Everything". Why it couldn't it be "Sunset Boulevard" for a change? No one sings that as well as Michael Ball, and it is a so much more interesting piece.

And what on Earth is Simon (***) Cowell doing muscling in on anything to do with musical theatre? He has never been anything but derisive of it, although that wouldn't stop him exploiting it (or anything) if he thought it was going to make him more money.

And Denise Van Outen with Kimberley Walsh? It doesn't exactly inspire, does it?

Hearing something from "Profumo" will be interesting though. I wonder how that is progressing? I have to say I don't dislike the idea of that.

And will be interested to hear back from those who actually go to the recordings.

#55 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Any idea when it is on TV?

#56 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

View Postjaqs, on 14 March 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

http://www.playbill....rom-New-Musical

Tim Minchin and Sam Barks are listed, things are looking up.

Wonder what Sam wil get. She hasn't played a ALW lead?  She did sing Memory in her sing off with Rachel in the TV show 5 years ago. Melanie and Tim are obviously singing from JCS?

Beyond that though Nicole is going to try and sing Christine again? And we have the vocally least inpressive Paulette and  Fiona combining for a duet?  Frankly he would do far better just using the, really good,   leads from the current  Phantom tour, Starlight tour  and some of the recent productions. Why fill it with lots of TV stars when one or two would do - you would think he woud want to advertise the West End as is?

#57 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Televised on Easter Sunday. Time TBC

#58 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostAnnasette, on 14 March 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

And what on Earth is Simon (***) Cowell doing muscling in on anything to do with musical theatre? He has never been anything but derisive of it, although that wouldn't stop him exploiting it (or anything) if he thought it was going to make him more money.

I think the developments in the XFactor musical thread should answer that question.

#59 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Sierra Boggess is appearing on the Sunday.

#60 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostSteffi, on 15 March 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Sierra Boggess is appearing on the Sunday.

Oh good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users