137 replies to this topic

#61 AnnT

AnnT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

*faints* - I was a bit ho-hum re the listed, but Sierra ... Sam Barks, Tim Minchin, all good.

So, do I take it Denise Van Outen is appearing but Lee Mead isn't?  or shall we wait and see :)

#62 AnnT

AnnT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Mylene Klass did Shakalaka Baby from Bombay Dreams, recorded this morning (3 "dry" takes and a wet take).  Excellent - she looked absolutely amazing, the track was pre-recorded.

Evening - Tim Minchin did an excellent performance as Judas.  Then we had Heather Headley singing Midnight from Cats.  Then Mel C, Ben Forester and Chris Moyles did a quick Jesus-Try not to get worried/Herod compilation.  They showed the audience the pre-screening from the morning and from a distance on the small screen it looked very good, but I don't know if you got the full wow factor of Mylene doing some excellent dancing due to lots of close-ups ...

Sorry - I'm mad tired and can barely move after a couple of queues in cold/wet.  Very cold.  Mostly wet.  The audience seats 700 or 800 according to different people on the staff.  There were approx 100 of us in the pre-record, those that wanted to see the evening performance were given sticky numbers and were (eventually) moved to the priority queue, which was then very much longer than we expected it to be.  I think we finally got into the studio at 7.20; collective little whines of relief as the hot air in the studios hit our froz bods.

#63 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

As above really, Michael Ball was very good at interviewing The Lord.
We saw half a show tonight with the other half being filmed on Sunday. We got 3 live songs and one pre-recorded so if they do the same for the 2nd half then there should be about 7 or 8 songs in total for the show. 2 of the 3 live songs were from JCSS so dont think we can expect to see a big range of ALW musicals being performed.
Have do say I did not think much of Heather Headley (first time I have seen her). OK she has a good voice but didnt think it was suited to Memory. Plus I thought her diction was rather bad and cound not hear all the words clearly.
Staging was fab with great back projections and lighting and the orchestra was awsome.
We had priority tickets, got there about 5.30pm but didnt get into the studio until about 7.30pm. I heard that quite a few people who didnt have priority tickets didnt get in at all and had been queuing for hours. I guess thats the risk you run with free TV tickets. My gripe was the fact that we were standing in the freezing cold and rain dressed to the nines as requested and absolutely no one came and told us why we not going into the studio when it said on the tickets doors open at 6pm.
Very badly organised. I am sure there was a good reason for the hold up but tell people so they know what is going on. There were enough staff after all to do this. We asked one person who just said "I dont know"
If you are going on sunday night without priority tickets I would suggest get there early so as not to be disappointed.

#64 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

I'd already made up my mind, but reading the above has justified it further, and I won't bother going tomorrow night.  Hours standing in the cold/wet to see three songs?  Not a chance!

#65 06s091

06s091

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

there must be more than three or four songs tonight as there are still a lot of artists that haven't performed: Michael Ball, Il Divo, Sierra Boggess, Nicole Scherzinger, Denise Van Outen & Kimberley Walsh, Samantha Barks

#66 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Agree about Heather, it was a bizarre version of Memory that sounded like Charlie Browns teacher.

Mel C was less breathy than usual, Tim Minchin was fabulous.

It was a very cold damp wait for not a lot, I havnt got priority for tonight so not sure if I'll go.

#67 coddy92

coddy92

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for informing us on what went on last night! I agree with 06s091, though, it sounds like there's going to be more performances at tonight's recording (yay!), unless they pre-record them during the day? Looking forward to it- hopefully the rain will hold off! :P

#68 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

I really hope you have a good time, and I look forward to hearing back from people.  Am looking forward to the show on TV (hoping Sierra sings LND), but I'm getting too old for queueing in the rain for ALW! lol

#69 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Please dont let my views put you off from going tonight. Once I got inside it was a really good evening and as someone has said above there are a lot more acts still to perform tonight so hopefully you will get more musical numbers.

I have written to the company giving them some feedback on last night. I am speaking from a lifetime of experience in handing people waiting in queues at airports or flight delays. Our policy always was keep people informed on the situation even if you have no news or no good news. People will put up with a lot more if they just know what is going on and know they are not being left with no information. The answer is not to disappear into the warm and just leave people with no information. It just makes us angry :)

So enjoy tonight and look forward to hearing your comments on the show.

#70 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

This is exactly why I cancelled my tickets for tonight! I went to the strictly come dancing Christmas special so had experience of waiting in the wet and cold, dressing smartly and it ended up delayed due to technically difficulties meaning it finished mega late meaning we had to leave just before the end! That, along with the tube restrictions and living other side of London, I cancelled! Sounds like it should make a good TV special!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users