#91 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 26 March 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

The line up is woeful. Since when are Mel C and Kimberley Walsh the faces of west end musicals? They were both dreadful in their shows.

Melanie  C makes sense. She's just won an award for JCS, and she's fine, and a bit different,  in that. She was superb in Blood Brothers (as an refreshingly young and realistic antidote to the dodgy accents, dull portrayals and overly old characters often playing that role) and deserved her  nominations for that  too . Kimberley is inexplicable - unless she has another role coming up - though I suspect she would look better/slicker now after doing SCD.

More inexplicable is the lack of West End talent singing anything else much. You could easily find current performers who could sing most of the songs given to celebrity/US stars  as well or better.  He could even find people from his own TV shows who could sing many better. its just a bit odd  - why you would  fill a show with non West End people if you want to advertise your wares, and one or two big names would do to get the TV audience in?  You would think he would  want to show his achievements off at their  best, rather than jump on the lets use a name bandwagon.

#92 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Kimberley has recently done a Musicals album ( and of course has been in Shrek), but I was at the recording & her voice just isn't very strong. She performed Take That Look Off Your Face with Denise Van Outen; DVO was vocally much better but they did it as a duet (which it isn't) and they also danced with Pasha (?) from Strictly. All a bit weird & unnecessary. But they were focussing on having "names" performing.

I thought Melanie C was good in Blood Bros & OK in Superstar, so her being there was fair enough - although I didn't see her the day we went. They are obviously keen to promote Superstar. Nicole Sherzinger is hardly a face of the West End either but she was actually quite impressive, so don't judge everyone until you've seen the performances. I actually think it is a good thing that judges from talent shows get up & show that they know what they are talking about too!

I would have preferred more West End names, but there was Michael Ball, Sierra Bogess & Sam Barks. I think it was a great missed opportunity not to have more contestants from the ALW TV shows, as so many of them have gone on to huge success. Maybe it's because they were on the BBC?

#93 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Nicole Scherzinger singing Don't Cry For Me, Argentina? No thanks.

#94 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostThe Scorpion, on 27 March 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Nicole Scherzinger singing Don't Cry For Me, Argentina? No thanks.

I was impressed. She was tons better than Madonna!

#95 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

I actually am proud to admit I love Nicole scherzinger and can't wait to hear her singing Don't cry for me!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#96 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

What I think is sad is that no full cast ensemble numbers appear to have been done. With tours of Joseph, Starlight, Cats and 2 versions of Phantom, you'd think they could have got something in from them.

#97 Flossie

Flossie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

It's a TV programme made for a TV audience.  Surely it's not so surprising that it's not made up of theatre 'names' who the general TV watching public probably wouldn't know?   Like 'em or not, the likes of Mel C and Nicole Scherzinger CAN sing and are far better known to the general public who might watch this TV programme.

Michael Ball, who is hosting the programme, said in a TV interview this morning that he chatted to Nicole Scherzinger during rehearsals and was very impressed by her attitude, approach and performance.  He also made the interesting point that 'stunt casting' is only stunt casting if the person concerned can't do it.

#98 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

There's no problem using 'names' who can do justice to the songs.  However, when you look at some of the performers they had in previous ALW concerts, the latest line-up does seem a bit lacking.

#99 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postfreckles, on 27 March 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

I was impressed. She was tons better than Madonna!

That isn't that hard, though. I know Scherzinger can sing (although I found her very underwhelming singing the title song of Phantom) but that isn't all there is to it. 'Don't Cry For Me' is written as a completely superficial dishonest political speech. Admittedly I've not seen her do this song, but I will be surprised if she really channels Eva Perón when she sings it. I guess that's the problem I have with most of these types of shows, though; I'm not really one for hearing theatre songs out of context.

#100 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Here's the ITV trailer for Sunday's broadcast:

https://www.youtube....h?v=FY1GOSoPyvg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users