265 replies to this topic

#21 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

I dont think most people are suggesting it wont be good, more that will it have an audience for such a big theatre

#22 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think I read that Roddy Doyle's adapting it from the book and not the movie, which is good.  I absolutely love love love the movie but it won't work on stage without major changes.  For starters, for a long time the band aren't very good, and extended bad musical numbers often don't work on stage where there's a desire, as someone said, to belt out the songs and hear a proper performance.  When there's that uncertainty as to whether to clap a song or not...  The first time we hear the lead singer he's singing (relatively well) whilst drunk at a wedding, and that shouldn't be a proper musical number even though it's how we know he's a good singer.  It's a strangely cinematic film.  Adult, too, but there are adult musicals, it just might limit the audience more.  It needs to be ramshackle, which the film definitely (and brilliantly) is, and I think a full blown jukebox musical can't be ramshackle.  Would the point where Jimmy corrects them on their pronunciation - "Roide Sally roide" - work as a musical number?  The trumpeter actively says something rude about that rehearsal!  It should be a play with music like the film's a film with music and not a musical.

Interestingly, I read (bizarrely, on Wales online) that a lot of the audience for The Full Monty were poorly behaved hen parties out for the Chippendales shouting "Get it off!" or words to that extent.  The Commitments is to jukebox musicals what The Full Monty (film, haven't seen play) is to the Chippendales - that aspect (soul and stripping respectively) is of course integral to story, but it's only one relatively minor theme.  If they pull it off it will be great, but if they try and make it Viva Forever or Rock of Ages they'll ruin it (might be unfair, haven't seen either show).  If an audience wants stripping at The Full Monty they've got an awful lot of unemployment, depression and crises to deal with, and I hope that any audience to The Commitments will have to get through the other ideas - what a struggle being in a band can be, mainly - before they get the real belters.  For any fans of Wittertainment, it's like if there were to be a musical about Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy - it's not about spying.  In that way, oddly enough, The Commitments shouldn't be a jukebox musical like Tinker Tailor! Live! shouldn't be a spy musical.

#23 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

All valid points, but I don't see why the aspects of the plot that you mention can't work on stage. The bad muscal numbers that the band rehearse dont have to be extended, they can be part of an overall, probably comic, scene.The musical numbers don't have to be exactly as they are in the film - we are assuming this is a version of the film, rather than the book. Will probably use elements of either & aspects that don't work on stage could be adapted.
I only referred to it as a "jukebox musical" in that there is a ready-made canon of musical numbers & because I expect it will use existing material, but it might not. The very reason that I think it will work is that it has a decent plot & defined characters.

#24 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Is this still happening ? Or is ALW putting his new show in the palace ?

#25 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Well he supposedly wants a smaller theatre than the palace but i do find it odd the commitments still hasnt officially announced and opened booking

#26 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostShowstopper, on 19 April 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Is this still happening ? Or is ALW putting his new show in the palace ?

ALW no longer owns the Palace so he can't just put a show in - he has to vie with every other producer to get a lease. And given his recent track record with new shows .....
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#27 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostTitan, on 19 April 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

Well he supposedly wants a smaller theatre than the palace but i do find it odd the commitments still hasnt officially announced and opened booking

Booking has gone online on the Nimax website for The Commitments and previews are well priced with 32.50 being the top price and a fiver for balcony tickets.

#28 AvenueQResident

AvenueQResident

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

There's also tube posters floating around.

#29 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

Oh thats odd, youd have thought there would have been more of a fanfare.

#30 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostTitan, on 20 April 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

Oh thats odd, youd have thought there would have been more of a fanfare.

It was meant to have a big media launch but Margaret Thatchers funeral meant it had to be moved back a week. Not sure why tickets are already of sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users