57 replies to this topic

#31 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I tried was allocated a seat but wasnt sure where it was, choose your own didnt come up as an option and the seating plan on the main website didnt have any numbers on. So I gave up.

#32 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

I had to refresh to get the link as well, but compared to what it was like when it was first launched, that's a dream.

Choosing your own is never an option for the front row scheme, so you'd be advised to search for a numbered seating plan and have that open on a separate tab for next time you try.

#33 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Choose your own never appears. Just google Donmar seating plan to check numbers. Yes, always quite a delay in the screen appearing! Just be patient and keep refreshing! :)

#34 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

So, it was first preview last night. I was cautious about it, after the misfire (to be polite) that was The Veil. Well, my caution was unwarranted. What a marvellous play. It's funny, it's well observed, it is also very unsettling in places. The cast are uniformly excellent (special mention for Caoilfhionn Dunne who gives a magnificently real turn) and the set is fantastic. The 1 hour 45 minute running time advertised was in actuality 2 hours last night, but I didn't mind one bit.

#35 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I may have 10 front row seats for new audiences for this.....I now have a "usual" seat.....but wouldn't want to have the Donmar think they were encouraging old audiences for new prices....
Glad to hear it is good....loved The Weir!

#36 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Interesting article in Donmar magazine for members...interview with McPherson.

"McPherson, meanwhile, intimates that his last stage play, The Veil, didn't play to his strengths, even though it was set in a house rife with the paranormal. As a period drama, it strained to encompass the economic crash of the 1820s and too many big ideas, he suggests. Subsequently, with The Night Alive, he 'just wanted to write a roller coaster of emotions. It's about things that are almost cosmic or beyond language, the mystery of being alive and having desires.'

He also says "with The Night Alive I decided not to try to twist myself any more into being different, to just do what I do best, write what comes. As you get older, you're more self-conscious so it's very hard, but in a way you need to forget everyhting, just have the reckless confidence you had when you were younger, let go, let yoursefl fall into the abyss. That's what I should be doing"

Looks like he has rediscovered himself a bit! Looking forward to this!

#37 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

Seem to recall The Veil being massively rewritten in previews, so much so that Jim Norton called for a line twice on opening night. So it's no surprise that was such a mess. Was so pleased The Night Alive was a million miles away from it.

#38 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

Just round some £15 circle tickets for 11th July matinee, quite a few available if anyone's interested. Imagine random dates and tickets will keep popping up.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#39 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Interesting quote from Conor McPherson noted by Latecomer above... "I decided to do what I do best, just write what comes."  That's exactly how it felt to me at today's matinee.  A series of entertaining scenes, played by five wonderful actors, which never quite revealed a shape or design.  Or purpose.

By the end I felt I had spent one hour and fifty minutes with a group of fascinating, funny, sometimes violent, always interesting characters from Dublin's lower depths but I didn't really know why, or what I had learned, or what had been resolved, if anything.  My guess is that this will go down as one of the lesser works in the Conor McPherson canon.

That said, Ciaran Hines is magnificent and utterly convincing as the layabout with (possibly) a heart and some substance to him. Michael McElhatton as his mentally challenged sidekick is right up here with him, as are Caoilfhionn (pronounced Kee-lin) Dunne as the girl who may be on the game but only just, Brian Gleeson as her deranged boyfriend, and Jim Norton as the grieving uncle/landlord .

Conor McPherson himself directed and there is yet another amazing set from Soutra Gilmore.  I liked it. I wanted to like it more.

Edited by mallardo, 21 June 2013 - 05:23 AM.

Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#40 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Brian Gleeson, I think, Mallardo (son of Brendan). Brian Keenan is someone else altogether. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users