57 replies to this topic

#41 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

I felt similar things (saw it Thursday night) an interesting exploration of some characters, well performed (Hinds in particular) but little in the way of purpose. It was engaging throughout, if a little bum-numbing at nearly 2 hrs without interval. Although personally I wanted it to/felt like it ended a scene earlier than it did.

Some of the most realistic stage violence I've seen in a while. Ouch.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#42 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Interesting and a further exploration of one of Mcpherson's themes explored in "The Weir" - the impact of a woman into an all-male environment. A difficult play to actually say you enjoyed - which is surely what an evening at the theatre is ultimately all about - but some cracking performances from the cast nevertheless.

After the fearful drubbing Tim Walker (always a contrary sort of a critic) gave it in the Sunday Telegraph magazine and some mixed reviews elsewhere ranging from the enthusiastic to the indifferent I didn't go with great optimism last night but didn't find, as some others have, that the time dragged.

I suspect some in the Donmar's audience may have found the second half in particular not to their taste. Under Josie Rourke it seems to be determined not to play safe, particularly in her second year in charge. Two new plays in a row counting "The Same Deep Water As Me" - did Grandage do much in the way of new work? Others who have been going to the Donmar longer than I have would be able to say. It does seem that the quality of productions is less consistent and more erratic than it was under Grandage - nowadays when it's good it's very good, but when it isn't...

In the stalls last night - Sir Trevor Nunn.

#43 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostMr Todd, on 27 June 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Two new plays in a row counting "The Same Deep Water As Me" - did Grandage do much in the way of new work?

In his last couple of years, he did Red (world premiere), The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee  (UK Premiere), Polar Bears (world premiere), plus several new versions of existing plays.

Polar Bears wasn't v well received, but one tends to forget about those misfires of the Grandage years, because is good work (of which there was a lot) was just so good.

#44 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

In the Mendes and Grandage eras, the sun always shone and the Warehouse was often unbearably stuffy in the summer months.

I much prefer Josie Rourke's policy of cold weather which makes this theatre so much less uncomfortable.

#45 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

Though today the air conditioning was so fierce that I was surprised I didn't come out with hypothermia. The Night Alive is likely to become one of the plays I actually remember, and i can't get the atmosphere of it out of my head, but I can't say that I enjoyed it.

After the beauty queen of leenane, the weir and this I'm also starting to think that life in Ireland must be utterly dreadful, something I clearly didn't notice when I was over there as a chirpy tourist.

#46 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I thought this was superb. I loved the story and the atmosphere that was built up was brilliant. I can't give any more away without ruining the play but this was my best play of the year so far. Will live with me for quite a while for combination of interesting writing and cracking performances. Oh and enjoyed the front row seats! :)

#47 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Great! After the mixed reviews, I wasn't that looking forward to it, but now it's roll on Wednesday :lol:

#48 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Oh yes, fantastic set again...go in early and admire the mess!  :)

#49 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Last week I managed to book a good ticket for late in the run - my first visit since Josie Rourke took over - after reading some good notices. Now I'm looking forward to it even more after reading Latecomer's recommendation - last year we both really liked Boys by Ella Hickson, so I think there's a very good chance I'll like The Night Alive as much as you do.

#50 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Whilst I wouldn't go as far to say this was the best thing I've seen so far this year, I will say it's the best thing at the Donmar since Josie Rourke took over.

It's a wonderfully fresh and honest play about real people. It's incredibly funny.... the topics of conversation, the little things Tommy does to get by.

Again with McPherson, like in The Weir, the woman is the extraordinary presence. I've liked seeing them side by side, and I'll say that I think is the better play. It's not flawless, however. McPherson does take the plot a touch too far, perhaps because he feels it has to go somewhere. But it goes somewhere already because of his vivid writing, and dimensions he brings to his characters. It helps, too, that the cast is superb. Ciaran Hinds especially, who give one of the best performances I've seen this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users