1118 replies to this topic

#151 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Just seen Nigel is also in series 3 of Mount Pleasant so he will have been on the TV a bit before this opens! Good publicity!

#152 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostTitan, on 04 September 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Digital Spy have put up some of the 'best' lyrics.  Some are clever and funny, but some are awful

http://www.digitalsp...est-lyrics.html

Oops, I was quite amused by them all. I can only compare it to Viva Forever so it won't take much to be a success in my eyes - simply be a little bit better than awful. Even though I really hate X Factor sometimes, I've watched every episode for 10 years so I will be wanting to see this. I still can't believe it's going into the Palladium.

#153 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

First listen over at Digital Spy.

http://www.digitalsp...rst-listen.html
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#154 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Jesus wept, if thats the best they have then we'd better go during previews as this wont last long.
Which way did he go McGill?

#155 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

It certainly brings out the stupid sob stories they present on the TV show - it depends how well it's staged, and they will gauge at how well it works in front of the audience before they make any changes in previews.

I think it needs more added to it in order to move the plot forward, as it starts in the same place it's ended.  

At least it's musically *quite* interesting!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#156 Westendgirl23

Westendgirl23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (All types), Reading, Writing, Cinema, Kayaking and Rock Climbing

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

And this one...

http://www.whatsonst...le-s_31865.html

I don't know. I quite like them. :-)

#157 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Yes - that's a great parody of the Dianne Warren female warble-y ballad that the show has.  Good stuff!   It's reminiscent of I Can't Live if Living is Without You.  

I loved the line about quavers.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#158 Raoul44

Raoul44

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Ok some of the lyrics are a bit of a miss but some are Hysterical....Combine that with Cynthia Erivo's voice and i aint got no problems!...i've seen and heard alot worse...Genuinely really like the I Can't Sing song...and Please Simon is really funny to.....this show seems to grow on me more and more.....have now booked tickets for the previews.....

#159 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

So Cynthia Erivo  sings "I cant sing" when clearly she can. So not sure what to make of that really. But at least it's an original musical score so we must kneel and give thanks for that at least. But new does not necessarily mean good.

It will be fascinating to see if this is a success or not. It could go either way. Certainly Simon Cowell has enough cash to ensure it gets loads of marketing and PR and prop it up if necessary. So perhaps we will never know if it's a success or not. But the Palladium is a HUGE theatre to fill 8 shows a week with a completely new show. All the other musicals there have been revivals or stage to screen adaptations with a proven box office appeal.

#160 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Was very anti this piece when I heard of it but after listening to the two songs and the casting so far, I'll give this a go I think :)
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users