1118 replies to this topic

#171 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Personally, both songs sound like things you'd find in a student drama production. They also sound like they've been written by someone who hates musicals or a huge Forbidden Broadway fan. TBH, I'm not sure who their audience is going to be - once the die-hard X Factor fans and various curious people, it doesn't seem the type of show to attract the passing trade or the tourist crowd.

They'll sell out their 6month advance no problems, the next 6months will go well but unlikely to sell out regularly. They'll limp into 18months, film it, close it and then take it out on tour.

#172 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

View Posttheatremole, on 11 September 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Personally, both songs sound like things you'd find in a student drama production. They also sound like they've been written by someone who hates musicals or a huge Forbidden Broadway fan. TBH, I'm not sure who their audience is going to be - once the die-hard X Factor fans and various curious people, it doesn't seem the type of show to attract the passing trade or the tourist crowd.

They'll sell out their 6month advance no problems, the next 6months will go well but unlikely to sell out regularly. They'll limp into 18months, film it, close it and then take it out on tour.

You realise that around 50 countries have their own version of The X Factor? It's a global brand at this stage.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#173 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

I still don't think it's a musical that'll attract the tourist crowd.

#174 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

It reminds me of acorn antiques the musical except possibly less niche

#175 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Posttheatremole, on 12 September 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

I still don't think it's a musical that'll attract the tourist crowd.

I still disagree, but can't see it selling out! I think the tourists may end up thinking it'll be a jukebox musical.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#176 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

WOS.com has unveiled three more songs:
http://www.whatsonst...al-i_31906.html

sounds pretty promising :)
"If you want to get the girl of your dreams, all you gotta do is change your personality beyond recognition and wear lots of tight leather apparel." - Rydell High School, School Motto.

#177 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

"I Can't Sing" has been stuck in my head for the past few days. I love Cynthia's voice on it!

#178 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Amusing to read all these predictions about how this show will fare.

Reminds of when people suggested Wicked would not last. Or Billy Elliot would bomb on Broadway.

No one knows anything about theatre audience. You can make a prediction based on quite how jaded you are about the British theatre going public but its a crapshoot.

#179 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Well thats kinda the point of a discussion forum! Of course no one **knows** what will happen but there are valid arguments as to why it might not work. Same with Wicked, and although successful it hasnt matched near what broadway has.

I think I cant sing will depend on the people buying in to an xfactor style show, or have they had enough. After all this is far from the first piss take on reality tv casting.And will the xfactor audience crossover to paying 60 a head. It will be interesting to see, its sure not a done deal either way. Its one show that could be helped by strong reviews and word of mouth on opening

#180 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

I quite like the songs.  Yes, they're a bit "student drama", but then that's how a lot of British humour works, after all, and some of those student dramas are pretty funny.

I am afraid, however, that I just don't "get" Cynthia Erivo.  She has a very good singing voice, but from my very limited experience of seeing and hearing her perform I don't understand her acting choices.  I've not seen her in anything good (only in Lift!) and maybe I don't understand what she's been directed to do for that demo of I Can't Sing, but I can't detect a single ounce of comedy in her rendition - she sings it dead straight, without any kind of emotion, while the actor who sings her boyfriend seems to "get it".

I hope she does a good job (I'm unlikely to see the show) but I'm not convinced on the basis of the recording.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users