1118 replies to this topic

#41 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

What's interesting is that the press announcement says "theatre and castings still to be confirmed", and the website makes no reference of The London Palladium.  

At least it's got 19 new songs by Steve Brown and Harry Hill.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#42 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

popcultureboy, on 11 April 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

This is just the most depressing news. Clearly, zero lessons have been learnt from Viva Forever.
They learnt not to use Jennifer Saunders for writing the script!

#43 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Anymore news on this? I was suprised about Palladium being the venue for the show, maybe just because I love the theatre and like when it houses 'rea;' musicals. I dont mind the xfactor as a show but cant see the appeal of the musical really.

#44 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

In a way its the perfect home as the palladium is the home variety

#45 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

They learnt not to use Jennifer Saunders for writing the script!

Well, yes, but Harry Hill has never once made me so much as crack a smile. But that wasn't the lesson I meant. People love X Factor. People get SO involved with it, they give up their weekend evenings for it for months on end. They don't want to pay out a fair chunk of money to watch people of questionable talent ripping the p*** out of the X Factor. Judging from the synopsis, that would seem to be what Hill is aiming for. I can't see it filling the Palladium 8 times a week.

#46 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Officially announced for the Palladium, beginning 26th March 2014 with the new title....

'I Can't Sing!'

http://www.whatsonst...March 2014.html

Attached Files

#47 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Whilst this has potential, especially with a better title now, I just think they have missed the boat.  X Factors audience has been dwindling for the last few years, and shows taking the mickey out of singing competitions have been done before. I dont think fans of the show (who are probably also Harry Hill fans) will have an issue with it taking the piss out of X Factor, but neither do I think they will flock to London to see it, and i cant imagine it getting the tourist market much either.  

Families will have plenty of other shows to see (and if Charlie is the hit it could be they wlll be flocking to see that).

Although people invest their saturday nights into xfactor, its just an evening entertainment programme. they dont invest much time and money into the show after that (otherwise more winnerswould be more successful)

#48 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

especially with a better title now

Better???? It has a negative connotation in it!

shows taking the mickey out of singing competitions have been done before

One of them being Viva Forever. Another show written by a comedian way past their prime with a recognisable brand attached. Clearly, no lessons were learned there.

#49 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

It does have a negative connotation but its at least more interesting than X factor the musical which was basically what the old title was. And no they never do learn, I will be very surprised if this is a big hit - but hey, it may be good! You never know...:P

#50 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

its negative but its positive in that it clearly shows its a comedy and theres humour to it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users