1118 replies to this topic

#61 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Well I hate the X Factor but I love Harry Hill, so I've booked a preview ticket.

Has any other show sold its previews months before selling the rest of the run?  Feels a bit like testing the waters.

#62 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Watch this be a surprise hit. Must have something to it to book the palladium?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#63 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yes a backer with deep pockets.

Still i'll no doubt go and see it.

#64 Wickalot Q

Wickalot Q

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Its strange that the Press release has Hugh Vanstone down as Lighting Designer but the Website has Jon Clark as LD.

#65 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

It has to be... If not, I despair for the west end and humanity.

#66 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 22 May 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

This isnt gonna be successful, its three/four years too late. X factor may still get ratings and sell tour tickets but this show itself seems on course to be a disaster from the get-go.

Not sure. Viva had the obvious problem that it was a Spice Girls Musical trying to look unlike the Spice Girls.And it then went for people who were actually inexperienced when  it could have packed the show with great vocalists who could play beginners.

This one is just plain curious. How do you write a comedy about the X factor that sends it up, but doesn't actually tell all the truth because its written for the same management? If you pull the punches and don't have the singing dog, or the mute boyband, or the comedy act, or the bland male, sending the good singers home, does the comedy work?  How do you have mediocre singers in the mix,  and expect people to pay £65 listen to them? And if you want  a musical with really strong impressive singers, and there s an awful lot of them being unused now  elsewhere available to cast , why have a lot of new songs when you have the perfect excuse to use any and every top song written in the last 70 years? Original is good , but few people can write more than  a few new good songs. so wouldn't sticking to the original X factor format and using covers be more in keeping with the reality,  and provide something more spectacular to listen to? They may have found a way to pull all that together and produce something really good, or it may be awful. If its awful,  it may still sell if they  cast it with the odd soap star, X factor winner and pop star singer and just rely on X factor fans to turn up??? Intriguing.

#67 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

With the back catalogue of X Factor performers around (I don't mean just the good ones, the awful ones) can we expect to see different guest stars every week? Didn't they do that in the Morcombe and Wise play?

I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere about seeing "familiar faces"!

The bar seems to be set pretty low on this one, so I wouldn't be surprised if it does become hit. It's just needs to exceed expectations!

#68 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

Only 25 performances onsale, isnt this strange?

#69 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

I am still waiting for the announcement that the whole thing was a huge April fool type joke to see how many industry professionals and the public can be fooled and the result of the reveal (of the con) will be a reality TV show with sobbing auditionees saying they thought they were auditioning for real show and that they had sold their nans to get the train fare etc.

But seriously Simon Cowell has deep pockets and although he scorns "musical theatre" publicly must see the money that can be made (e.g. Mamma Mia) and thinks he can have a share. It will be awash with ex X Factor "stars" - all now desperate for any kind of work. It is a sign of the times that this trash is going to be produced in one of the greatest London theatres The London Palladium. Weeps!

#70 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

There's nothing like supporting a new, original, British musical...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users