1118 replies to this topic

#81 Raoul44

Raoul44

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Any news on Casting for this yet?.....especially the Simon role...do we think a name or a good Musical Theatre performer?.....
This show will either sink or swim but correct casting will help it alot.

#82 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

I feel like there is definitely going to be some 'names' in it to sell the show, dreading who they will be though, it just isn't going to be credible if certain 'celebs' are cast in it. Maybe all the old xfactor finalists ;)

#83 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Simon is whoever played him in the workshop isn't it? That's what I heard... Or was that Alex Hanson (who's doing Stephen Ward)

#84 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

I wrote my thoughts on this for the Not Exactly Billington blog.
I really think Harry Hill could have been the saving grace seeing as (although mainstream) has retained an alternative streak to his humour.
However with the X Factor logo stamped all over it and SyCo involved, I doubt it can be that satirical.
It could have had potential to be a new Jerry Springer the Opera (sans death threats).
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#85 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yeah Alex Hanson did it in the workshop and he seems to be busy with Stephen Ward!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#86 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Simon Russell Beale for Louis please.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#87 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

I know they have been auditioning for the Simon Cowell role, as I know someone who has been seen for it.

#88 ThomasH

ThomasH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but...

I can really see this adopting the same sort of style as 'Jerry Springer The Opera'. What I cannot fathom is the demographic they are aiming this at because it isn't going to be suitable for children as they will just not understand the concept or point of it all. So they have eliminated a family audience, which I always thought was what the Palladium was about?  It just seems likely to be a bit of a flash in the pan.

Anyone agree?

Also, does nobody fancy the return of an all-star Palladium Christmas pantomime?
The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time (West End, 2013) The Same Deep Water As Me (Donmar Warehouse, 2013) Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (West End, 2013) The Pride (Trafalgar Studios, 2013) Mojo (West End, 2013)
Blood Brothers (UK Tour, 2013) Sister Act (UK Tour, 2013) Cats (UK Tour, 2013)

Upcoming:

Birdland (Royal Court, 2014) Skylight (West End, 2014) Let The Right One In (West End, 2014) One Man Two Guvnors (UK Tour, 2014) Barnum (UK Tour, 2014)

#89 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

I would love an all star Palladium Panto but Barry Humphries is booked with his farewell show "Eat Pray Laugh"!

Regarding "I Can't Sing" the X Factor musical I still think I am going to wake up and realise it was just a dream/nightmare! It could be hilarious with Harry Hill on the book ( but I thought that about Jennifer Saunders on Viva Forever) but with Syco (Simon Cowells) company co-producing this I cannot see it being too scathing of the original. I just cannot see what audience this is aiming at. The casting will be interesting. It could be full of X Factor rejects? Oh dear god!

The best skit on the X Factor/Pop Idol is Ben Elton's book Chart Throb!

#90 ThomasH

ThomasH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

I think the whole Jennifer Saunders and Viva Forever could serve as an example against expectations for this, maybe?

Anyone agree?
The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time (West End, 2013) The Same Deep Water As Me (Donmar Warehouse, 2013) Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (West End, 2013) The Pride (Trafalgar Studios, 2013) Mojo (West End, 2013)
Blood Brothers (UK Tour, 2013) Sister Act (UK Tour, 2013) Cats (UK Tour, 2013)

Upcoming:

Birdland (Royal Court, 2014) Skylight (West End, 2014) Let The Right One In (West End, 2014) One Man Two Guvnors (UK Tour, 2014) Barnum (UK Tour, 2014)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users