#11 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Makes me feel better about the 20 I've just counted in my pile :mellow:

I agree with the OP that some lead times are crazy - noticed the other day that the Barbican is booking for classical music events up to May 2014! I much prefer the approach of the National, Royal Court etc of announcing seasons a few months in advance.

I tend to book in advance either to get a discount (as with the Royal Court), cheap seats (the Grandages) or for predicted hot tickets (Richard II, The Audience)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#12 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 26 February 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

Wicked Grin - unfortunately the £ doesn't go into a producers account till the show has gone ahead. This is to safe guard patrons money in case of a no-show etc.

It does however help the producer know in advance how much capitilsiation they will need to arrange to make the show open, most costs can be contra billed in various ways once the show has opened, but avast majority and usually the most expensive elements can't,

Thanks for the elucidation. So whose pocket does the interest from the ticket money deposit go to?
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#13 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postmallardo, on 27 February 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

I'm still trying imagine 43 sets of tickets in one pile.
Christmas come early!

#14 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Jags, I think part of the Grandage deal  was that you could  change dates. I have changed two lots of tix since booking. No problem.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Slightly off topic maybe. I was amazed that Miranda was selling tix so early for her gigs. She tweeted that some people had mistaken the year! I'll say. She is funny and popular but come on, she isn't a reincarnation of The Beatles.

#16 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostLynette, on 27 February 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Slightly off topic maybe. I was amazed that Miranda was selling tix so early for her gigs. She tweeted that some people had mistaken the year! I'll say. She is funny and popular but come on, she isn't a reincarnation of The Beatles.

In the 80s they started saying "Comedy is the new rock n roll" and it was a bit then, but is far truer now. People like Lee Evans can sell out a week of dates at the 02 a year in advance.

#17 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostLynette, on 27 February 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

Jags, I think part of the Grandage deal  was that you could  change dates. I have changed two lots of tix since booking. No problem.

No chance in swapping the £10 dress circle/stalls seats of which there are 4 per performance (bookable in advance).

#18 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm so old. In my day comedy was free on the telly. It was quite good sometimes.

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 27 February 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

No chance in swapping the £10 dress circle/stalls seats of which there are 4 per performance (bookable in advance).

Ok so not those but the only one I was not offered a choice for was Judi Dench and how about betting this will be the most disappointing. Mind you I hated P on P. so my hopes have been lowered considerably.

#20 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostSchuttep, on 27 February 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Thanks for the elucidation. So whose pocket does the interest from the ticket money deposit go to?

What interest ? Hardy worth bothering with at current rates.

I agree it is a recent and generally unwelcome trend - if the producers really can't use the money in advance it's hard to see why they do it, other than (like at the Barbican) to try to sell a few seats at inflated high prices in advance before the inevitable discounting happens nearer the opening. Can producers use the money as a form of collateral with which to attract investors and/or borrow the pre-production money at more favourable rates or over a shorter timescale ? When they show opens they could then pay back the investors/loans more quickly and thus generate more profit for themselves later in the run ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users