#21 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostSchuttep, on 26 February 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

I've noticed over the past few years that I have a stock of theatre tickets of events still to see that is growing and growing. At the moment I have tickets for 43 upcoming shows.

I still see roughly the same amount of shows each year (around 75 - 90) but it seems to me that theatre tickets are being put on sale so far in advance that I am buying many many more well before the actual show.

For example, I bought all the Michael Grandage season over a year in advance of the start of the actual performances. Now I can see why he would want assurances that tickets would sell for what he might have seen as a "risky" venture, but it seems to me that more and more theatres and producers are trying to get us to buy tickets long before the actual shows themselves. Many West End shows are booking into 2014 already and I recently bought tickets for the Priscilla tour in Brighton for January 2014. But, unless my memory is flawed this didn't seem to happen so much just a few years ago.

I know I don't HAVE to buy tickets so far in advance but if I want decent seats for the shows I'd like to see, I feel obliged to go for it, meaning I have the assurance of getting good seats and producers have the assurance of a sold ticket.

Thoughts?
I know what you mean. I got an email saying Wicked was coming to my local theatre in what I thought was June 2013. I knew we were booked in for another show on that day and thought it had been pulled only to realise the Wicked tour  was for June 2014! I've seen it twice in London so may hold fire for a while.

#22 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

I don't think it's such a new thing. I remember years ago when Oliver was announced at the London Palladium with Jonathan Pryce. There was a real frisson of interest and I booked tickets about a year ahead. I do agree that it would be better to wait until later. One of the issues I had with the Michael Grandage season was thinking about my diary over a year hence. In the end I didn't and just booked for the early productions

#23 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Seems to have worked for Grandage - there are surprisingly few seats available for Henry V (if you want a particular date, you may find only premium tickets available :o) and he's still got another 8 months to sell tickets.

#24 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Henry V has Jude Law in it so its unsurprising its sold well, wonder how Midsummers Night Dream and The Cripple of Inishmann are long as they both have stars in them.

#25 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 27 February 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

I hardly ever buy in advance, and I never pay top price. I find that a mixture of spontaneity and Google means that on any given day, there are great seats to be had at less than the prices they tell you at the box office. However I do favour day seats anyway.

This is me too; it is very rare for me to book more than a couple of months in advance & that has to be for a really good deal.

I really am not organised enough to book over a year away; I always worry that I will commit & then something will happen to mean I can't go. Or lose the tickets!

High profile comedy & music gigs have become ridiculous though; you have to be so organised & persistent and I do think a lot of them are way too early.

#26 Michael

Michael

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

View Postmallardo, on 27 February 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

I'm still trying imagine 43 sets of tickets in one pile.

http://img839.images...6102/memegc.jpg

#27 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2538 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Barbican Hamlet

#28 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

I think it's been a thing for quite a while with RSC Globe etc and for those of us travelling (either to London or Stratford) it does require some forward planning. Still I always resent planning a year or more in advance.

Part of me minds less for the big 'Event' productions, like say Cumberbatch Hamlet but still I rarely know what I'm doing next week never mind next year. Several times I've had to return tickets for re-sale because they were booked that far in advance and something unavoidable came up (again due to having to travel to London as well)

What bothers me more, and I'm not sure why it bothers me more, is the regional theatres doing the same thing. The WMC are the worst culprits for this, it seems to be the norm now to open booking over a year in advance. (and at West End prices but that's an entirely separate gripe)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#29 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Last year in February I had 43 tickets booked in advance. As of today it's 48 for the rest of 2014!
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#30 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

I actually prefer to book the big shows like the Cumberbatch Hamlet this far in advance. So far it looks like I'll be booking 9 tickets to it, which is manageable because no-one has any plans for 2015 yet, so I should be able to just pick the date that has the best seats available and then tell everyone what it is afterwards. If I was attempting to find a date for this summer I'd be negotiating around everyone's pre-existing summer holiday plans and marathon running plans and a couple of weddings!

Last week I arranged a cinema trip with a few friends. It took 5 days and umpteen Facebook messages to get a date and time that suited everyone! If I was facing that with Hamlet tickets would be sold out by the time everyone had agreed on a date...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users