18 replies to this topic

#1 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Anyone know if Disney have any plans to bring a second musical (already have lion king) to the west end, would love to see Tarzan over here, i know newsies is doing great in Broadway but don't think it would do as well over here.

#2 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Disney don't seem to like it over here. I have heard that they have looked at Newsies, which I agree wouldn't a sure fire hit over here, but I think they are just concentrating on the US, which is a shame. Little Mermaid still hasn't over here.

#3 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

tarzan was looked at briefly a few years back too and aida years ago.

disney dont have a great record in london. beauty only lasted 3 years including discounts and stunt casting. poppins lasted about three years.

i am surprised following tarzan and mermaids success in europe they havent attempted uk tours

#4 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

Disney has Aladdin coming to Broadway in 2014 with a tryout in Toronto this year. I imagine if that it a hit then it'll be here by 2016.

Newsies I think would be risky but I think there's an audience for that sort of show over here. I could see it at a theatre like The Piccadilly or the Victoria Palace. I imagine Disney will want to launch the US national tour before it goes to other places.

#5 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

im not so sure aladdin would work here...we have aladdin in panto every year for half the price inc flying carpets!

#6 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'd love some more Disney in the West End.
Hunchback would be absolutely amazing - check out videos of the Berlin production on youtube.
The Lion King has a fantastic overture and a couple of nice songs apart from that, but its direction is quite random and I haven't felt the need to see it again.
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#7 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostJoule, on 02 March 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

I'd love some more Disney in the West End.
Hunchback would be absolutely amazing - check out videos of the Berlin production on youtube.
The Lion King has a fantastic overture and a couple of nice songs apart from that, but it's direction is quite random and I haven't felt the need to see it again.

I didn't think lion king had an overture! When I saw it I was sure it just started with circle of life no overture!

#8 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

I would love to see them attempt a musical of Bednobs and Broomsticks i.e. if they gave it the Mary Poppins treatment, but in general it is quite a lesser known film so perhaps it wouldn't do as great. Still would love to see them attempt it.

#9 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Disney and the Goodman Theatre in Chicago are doing The Jungle Book which will based in both the book and the film although I think they're not aiming for Broadway.

The two I liked to see are Mulan and Hercules although they're not as popular compared to the other films of that period.

#10 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'd love to see Aida in the west end.
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users