41 replies to this topic

#1 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Already sold out well before press night....yet another success for Hampstead.

Beautiful staging and the most lavish set I have seen at the theatre so far and put the Orange Tree to shame after I had seen a matinee there this afternoon!

Uniformly excellent cast and production values and sensitively directed.

However, the play does feel thin (2 hours with the interval) and it does tend to repeat all the Chekhov themes that you would all have seen before....just not as well.

There is all the unrequited love and angst and disappointment that you would expect to find.

I think that an interesting trend is developing at Hampstead. The tickets are NOT cheap at £29 for the main house after previews and I think you have to be careful what you see there for that price. Yes they have had some astounding hits but as soon as they boob up that will be an expensive mistake for the audience.

#2 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

How is Tamsin?

#3 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 03 March 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

How is Tamsin?

She is good enough and the problems is the usual "Chekhov syndrome" of ill defined roles.

Therefore she plays "the woman with the unrequited love" role fine but there is lack of depth to most of the characters.

It is more of an ensemble piece I would say and it is quite a large cast for such a short play.

Also some excellent ladder work and roof climbing with 2 actors clambering all over the house....I was most impressed....

As a note does anyone know if the grass is real....I forgot to go and "poke" it at the end but it really looks most realistic....for anyone going can they check?!

Thanks!!

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I will check for you. :-))

#5 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks!

#6 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

I have said elsewhere that even at £22 (for matinees and previews), Hampstead's main house is now too expensive for me, but I'm wondering what happens with sold out shows if people need to change tickets?  When I was discussing prices with a member of Box Office staff, he suggested booking and changing the date later if necessary.  It would be absurd to have an unused ticket for a fully-booked run and with people queueing daily for returns.

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

According to the website ...

Tickets are strictly non-transferable and non-refundable, but may be exchanged for another performance of the same production. This is subject to availability and the administration fee of £2.

They will also try and resell returned tickets if they get them back an hour in advance of the show, again there's a £2 fee
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#8 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thank you, xanderl.  This is definitely not quite what the staff member told me, as he didn't mention any fee nor cover the situation where, as I suggested, there was no alternative performance available.  So just as well I can only afford the Studio now - at least it's a smaller potential loss!

#9 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

I think £22 is reasonable...the current show has staging well beyond the effort of most WE plays I have seen.

I don't mind paying this for quality as the theatre has to make some profit and £22 is not bad when you compare to other theatres like Royal Court and Donmar.

I would have balked if the prices had risen without the quality improving but this has not been the case.

Hampstead is my local theatre and many friends have commented enviously that I am lucky to have such an excellent venue within walking distance!

#10 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

I had a ticket for this last night, but had to return as I was far too busy to get to London, sadly. Hope they managed to sell it on. Given this is sold out, I'll have to give this a miss :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users