41 replies to this topic

#11 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

There were 8-9 people in returns line so I hope they managed to resell.

I must comment, you would not think we are in a recession.

Numerous sell outs at Hampstead well ahead of press nights.
Huge queues for Macbeth daily.
Book Of Mormon causing ticketing frenzy.
Peter and Alice and The Audience well booked ahead and one still has not even entered previews.
Othello already sold out in the current booking period at the NT.

It is quite healthy!

#12 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostParsley, on 03 March 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

I think £22 is reasonable...the current show has staging well beyond the effort of most WE plays I have seen.

I don't mind paying this for quality as the theatre has to make some profit and £22 is not bad when you compare to other theatres like Royal Court and Donmar.

I would have balked if the prices had risen without the quality improving but this has not been the case.

Hampstead is my local theatre and many friends have commented enviously that I am lucky to have such an excellent venue within walking distance!

Parsley, you are indeed in an enviable position if Hampstead is your local and you are presumably able to walk there.  And yes, £22 is worth it (though still high-end for me, at the top end of what I usually pay) if the production is good.  But some of us have to add on fares and travelling time, and Hampstead is one of those theatres with which you usually have to take a chance and book before the reviews or risk missing out - as indeed we are now seeing with Longing.

And of course there are other local theatres, too - a rich area in that respect!

#13 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

View Postfringefan, on 03 March 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

I have said elsewhere that even at £22 (for matinees and previews), Hampstead's main house is now too expensive for me,

£22 seems reasonable these days and as they've sold out I suppose there is not much incentive for them to alter it.

#14 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostParsley, on 03 March 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

There were 8-9 people in returns line so I hope they managed to resell.

Well they didn't, annoyingly.

#15 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

How puzzling.  Makes you think you'd do better to approach the queue yourself and try to do a deal (so long as Box Office staff didn't notice) - though of course, had you been able to make it, you'd have used the ticket yourself.

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

What could have happened- and I'm being very cynical here- is that they sold it, but decided not to tell me, since it was a single seat booked, and I'd have no way of checking whether it had been occupied. However I'm sure the Hampstead box office staff are honest people, and that would never happen.

#17 william demarest

william demarest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I returned a pair of tickets for one of the last performances of 55 Days, which was completely sold out as well.  I returned them a week in advance but they told me they don't put returns up for sale until one hour before the play starts!  Mine didn't sell either (or so they told me).  The policy of waiting until the last minute to sell returns for a sold out show is ridiculous as the tickets would have sold if they had been put back up for sale as normal when I returned them.  Makes you want to sell them on via Ebay or some such next time, doesn't it?

#18 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I gave them a good 24 hrs notice. If they'd popped back online, they would've probably gone and they could have got more for them than they got from me. Mine was a £15 concession, normal price in preview is £22.

I'd like to see Longing, but the Hampstead returns policy is too risky. If you're unlucky, you can't just pop along the road to see something else, like you can do in the West End.

#19 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

The only theatre reasonably near which might offer an alternative is the Tricycle, i.e. downhill to the west.  But their productions are often sold out, too.

#20 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

View Postfringefan, on 05 March 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

The only theatre reasonably near which might offer an alternative is the Tricycle, i.e. downhill

Downhill indeed. If I wanted to read the Chilcot Report into the Iraq war I'd rather do it at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users