41 replies to this topic

#31 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

I just saw the new Durang play on broadway 'Vanya, Sonya, Masha and Spike' which was a bit of a love letter to Chekov, I know he's always being done but it does seen that writers paying tribute to him is zeitgeisty at the mo

#32 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostLynette, on 13 March 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Where Iain Glenn next? He seems to be climbing back up the greasy pole of theatrical venues.

Hasn't he now done three Chekhov's in a row ? (And an Ibsen before that ?). He is a leading actor (an RSC Henry V) and we are lucky he is still willing to work in smaller venues - he is like Michael Pennington in that respsect.

#33 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

I also enjoyed the recent series of Jack Taylor of channel 5 (he is lead)....when recorded so could wizz through the ads!

#34 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 15 March 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

I also enjoyed the recent series of Jack Taylor of channel 5 (he is lead)....when recorded so could wizz through the ads!

I was wrong on the three Chekovs, confusing him with Sam Troughton on one of them for some reason. Glenn's website is reasonably good in listing his work which is somewhat unusual as far as I can see. McKellen's is not bad in it's own ramshackle way. Which actor has the best website ?

#35 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

John Sessions very good in this. Play itself only middling.

#36 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it - beautifully observed and affectionately done, with even the minor characters well-drawn. Tamsin Greig was perfect casting as the doctor who's long held a candle for Iain Glen's visiting lawyer. Technically a marvel too - God knows how much that amazing set cost. I wonder what will happen to the summerhouse when it finishes? - would be great if it could go on loan to theatre companies putting on Chekhovs!

Very different seating/stage layout from the last time I went - steeply raked seating, so good views, and a slightly 'thrust' stage, like a much smaller Olivier...

#37 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Going today, matinee, with husband. B)

#38 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Really enjoyed this, as did husband. Several minor points. I want the Summer House, now, to live in. Can I please also have the long dresses to float around in, preferably with a free waist to show them off....
Lovely lighting, liked the interweaved stories. A bit "Chekhov by numbers" but still very enjoyable. Spent ages trying to remember where the servant on the roof was from....A Fish Called Wanda!
Liked the ending.
Greig and Glen very fine.
Grass real. Was in row B and was confused as I thought I had ordered front row....but B was front row!
Nice to bump into Kenneth Branagh on the way out.
All in all a fine production and a lovely way to spend an afternoon!

#39 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

"... a free waist to show them off."  Maybe it's because I'm a guy but I don't follow.  Possible to enlighten?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#40 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

at a guess i'd suggest Latecomer is saying that her waist just won't show those dresses off so well hence she wants a free one to show them off better. I'd not convinced you need it Latecomer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users