15 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:47 PM

.... sorry .... I forget what I was going to say about him ....

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

Have you forgotten the medication, Jan?

#3 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

Ah. Satire is wasted on you !

#4 Jenny_tyr

Jenny_tyr

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 15 2007, 04:47 PM) View Post
.... sorry .... I forget what I was going to say about him ....

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Jan. It seems that almost every play that Timothy West has been in lately has seen this complaint of him fluffing the lines, at least early on. Since heís such a seasoned actor, I canít really believe thatís it caused by a lack of preparation so perhaps his memory is beginning to fail him, and in that case itís really sad. Iím glad that I wonít be seeing Coriolanus until the very end of its run, and hopefully heíll have the lines down by then. Are there other big-name actors who are similarly having trouble remembering their lines?

//Jenny

http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:22 AM

Satire is indeed wasted on me when it refers to incidents about which I know absolutely nothing and threads I haven't read. Clearly I should pay closer attention to all your posts so I can understand such subtle jokes. However, since I've seen Timothy West a couple of times in the last few years, and haven't noticed any fluffs, I'll have to take other people's word for it.

#6 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

Yes - a shame - he really should give up stage work. I saw him in a play last year and his grip of the script was very poor. I felt sorry for the rest of the cast who nightly must have been nervous wrecks willing him to get through it!!

#7 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

It is sad on a personal level of course, but as it seems to be well-known (there were several posts about it during the run of the play he did before "A Number") one wonders why RSC have employed him - it is not only embarrassing for his fellow actors, but also the audience. It reminds me of when I saw Ralph Richardson very late in his career - there were so many prompts that it killed the performance as a whole stone dead (although in his case there were several really excellent moments too). I have seen T.West plenty of times and he has been good, fairly recently as King Lear, so his present predicament must be fairly recent.

#8 tsaurus

tsaurus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

I've seen Mr West a few times over the past couple of years and he always seemed to have problems with lines.  In 'Galileo' at Birmingham Rep about 2 years ago it really looked like he was struggling and other actors around him were clearly having to accommodate.

I'm not seeing Coriolanus until the last performance - let's hope he nails that one.

#9 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 15 2007, 06:32 PM) View Post
Ah. Satire is wasted on you !

Not wasted on me though. cool.gif

#10 Edagar

Edagar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

Jan, are you maligned by the RSC?  You seem to have some sort of vendetta ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users