Approx. running time: 3 hours including one interval

#12 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Apparently the friday night first preview was cancelled due to difficulties with the technical rehearsal. They better get their act together because I am going on Monday.

#13 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Looking forward to hearing what people think of this one

#14 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Well I should have been able to report back after tonight's performance, but I was so alarmed by the earlier posts about the inordinate length of this particular play that I called in today and changed my booking to a matinee later in the run - thank goodness for the Royal Court's very flexible attitude on this issue.  I'd hate to have been nodding off anywhere, obviously, but in the very front stalls it would have been so noticeable.

#15 hathead

hathead

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I thought this was a bit of a mess. Its an ambitious play with lots of humour -a large cast tackling the founding of america and its free market values, the history of economics with financial and moral arguements examined and todays curent financial cisis. The ending ( I won't spoil -it) whilst a technical and visual spectacle  was a cop out. I realise this was only a preview but the cast felt under rehearsed and unconfident of their lines and interacting with the many splendid scene changes . If they'd put this on at a West End theatre as a musical and called it The Book of the Wealth of Nations then they might have got away with it. I loved Clybourne Park and the Pain and the Itch but this one just didnt do it for me, though  I'm sure it will hang together better once the cast has had more time on stage

#16 william demarest

william demarest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I was there last night as well and agree, although I liked it more than Hathead did.  Definitely under rehearsed.  I go to previews all the time but this almost seemed like a dress rehearsal.  That said, it is never dull and is quite funny.  This is certainly going to get better when the actors are more comfortable and it tightens up.  Also, there were several people who didn't return after the interval, and a couple that walked out 10 minutes into the second half (I was sitting near the back of the stalls).

#17 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I read somewhere that there hadn't even been time for a dress rehearsal, so the above comment is even more apt!  Though why, in that case, didn't they postpone the first performance for longer, rather than simply cancelling just the one, last Friday night?

#18 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

No amount of dress rehearsals could improve this for me, I nearly left at the interval but don't tend to that unless it's torture, and there were moments of enjoyment, but overall, as said before, a mess.

#19 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I know this is still previewing but I can't really see this working with any amount of rehearsal. It is totally overpowered by its ambition (which I applaud) but it is cramming in too much of everything, leading to an unsatisfactory whole. Most of the performances are superb and there are enough ideas to keep one interested but the premise is just too ambitious to pull off. Echoes of Candide, Enron, and panto.

#20 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Rave review in the Guardian
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

Also tagged with Royal Court

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users