32 replies to this topic

#11 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

I am seeing it soon, but am going to something else tonight, so shall be keen to read your report, stevepearman.  I can't say I have any knowledge of or interest in any particular cast member - it usually works the other way for me, i.e. I come home and look up those I've seen.   It would be rare for me to miss a production and I have high hopes as everything I have seen at the Landor has been brilliant.  And you are never more than 3 rows away from the stage, so the atmosphere is great.

#12 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Love Liza Pulman of Fascinating Aida fame and am seeing this on 28 April.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#13 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

View Postfringefan, on 17 April 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

I can't say I have any knowledge of or interest in any particular cast member - it usually works the other way for me, i.e. I come home and look up those I've seen
I understand that, but I'm coming from Northamptonshire, so have to be a bit choosy

#14 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

We saw this last night and really enjoyed it.There were only about a dozen empty seats.The plot is,at first glance,wafer thin.But there is a massive twist in the plot at the end that neither of us saw coming - and I am usually really got at spotting plot twists.
Liza Pulman is a total show stealer.I had not come across her before - she was very funny and her voice - especially in the song Superwoman in Act 2 is to die for.I, and several other people, commented on how not only in looks but vocally she was like Louise Dearman.
Jenny Gayner was also a standout as Chloe.
Sabrina Aloueche and Adam Pettigrew were a great double act - Adam having to play a 16 year old virgin on heat was hilarious.
Our main bug bear was Steven Serlin who plays Hugh.His acting was as wooden as most of the stage and his singing was,at times,painful.
Towards the end he bucked up a bit but whenever he was on stage he was cringey.
I have no idea why they cast him - there must have been better choices.
It was a shame because the rest of the ensemble were strong.

#15 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Poststevepearman, on 17 April 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

I understand that, but I'm coming from Northamptonshire, so have to be a bit choosy

It wasn't a criticism, stevepearman, but simply a statement of fact on my part, i.e. that in advance, I neither know nor care whom I'm seeing when it comes to musical theatre, since as with plays, I choose according to a combination of factors such as subject, author, etc.  And I'm choosy, too, what with limited funds and time.

Theatrically's review sounds great, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the show now and maybe you will also be encouraged by it.

#16 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Well, I saw it tonight and really loved it. There us little point in me reviewing it as I agree pretty much with thematically.
The one song I felt was a weakness was falling (or whatever its name is) at the end if the first half. Sabrina us struggling with tonsilitus, but did so well. Tonight we only had 12 in the audience. But its in previews, so hopefully will pick up. If I lived nearer, I would be back.

#17 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Only 12 ??? what is the seating capacity?

#18 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Seeing this on saturday! sabrina has been ill recently, doesn;t surprise me at all that she still pulls out an awesome show. i met steve serling when i saw peter pan at christmas. he was in the show with adam pettigrew and i liked both of them then. be interesting to see how he fares in this show. liza pullman is worth a youtube, she has a beautiful soprano voice!

#19 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 18 April 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

Only 12 ??? what is the seating capacity?

#20 Raoul44

Raoul44

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it...Its not groundbreaking but it is pretty much the same as the Kinsella Book and made me want to go on Holiday!.....I also have to disagree with Theatrically's post on here as i found Steven Serlin to be very strong in the part and highly watchable....Maybe he just had an off night the night you went but he stood out to me as being very natural and his voice seemed in good form to me...In fact all the performances were good...Liza Pulman was a stand out to me to...Her Superwoman song was a particular highlight of the show.....Nice to see some new work on the Fringe circuit......lets have more please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users