• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 stewart

stewart

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Not sure why this is not selling out every night--it's a small theatre, amazing sightlines everywhere, new space, and a truly phenomenal production. I went a few weeks ago without many expectations and it just blew me away. It is hilarious, moving, wonderfully performed. I had read the play years ago--enjoyed it but it is truly a piece that needs to be seen. Some of the acting is purposefully stylized but it all works so well in the context of the play. Kathryn O'Reilly, Ciaran Owens and Matthew Needham give particularly funny, moving performances. I went again a few nights ago and plan on going back before it's over. Can't recommend it highly enough!

#2 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

I concur

I studied the play in College, and I thought that this cast in this simple production did very well in conveying the redemptive story in the play. My only gripe is that some of the harshness of the penal colony has been toned down a bit.

Low Full Price

http://shallicompare...ood-review.html
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#3 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

-

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

A lot of people who've previously visited the venue are still recovering from the resulting knee surgery.

#5 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Poststewart, on 08 March 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Not sure why this is not selling out every night

Easy - it's really quite pricey.  £25 cheapest?

#6 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Quite. The St James has sensibly reduced its prices for their next show
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#7 stewart

stewart

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Ok, maybe that was overstating it a bit--but I still don't understand why it's not selling better than it is. Top prices seem very reasonable to me and the 25 pound seats are a lot better than the 20 pound dress circle preview seats I had at Curious Incident the other night.

And obviously, like anything, not everyone will enjoy it. But I was with a group of people and almost all of them left loving the production as a whole. Seemed to be the general audience response both times I've been there. I just thought word of mouth would be better. Certainly some performances are better than others (one of the performances was extremely grating, to be honest) but as a whole I thought the cast was superb.

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

I guess a fair amount of people (including me) remember the much starrier original production. I can't be bothered to sit for 2 1/2 hours in acute discomfort for this one.

#9 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Yes, I tick all those "Why not" boxes, i.e. prices, seat discomfort and having seen at least two previous productions.  But I'm glad to hear about the price reduction as I want to see the next play - thank you for the info, xanderl.

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Previews for thrill of love even cheaper at 15 with code PASSION
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users