20 replies to this topic

#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Well, as it happened I found myself in Row C actually the front row with feet on the acting area so no leg problems for me but I did look carefully at the rest of the seating and it didn't look that bad if bad at all. One or two seats crammed in at the very edge in the front might be uncomfy. Very steep rake though and small stage. Unless they can refigure it a al Cottesloe occasionally I feel this might limit their repetoire. But let us mention the very nice brasserie [ fish and chips thanks v nice] and the toilets. You can forget the subterranean pre historic plumbing of the West End. This was same level as foyer, modern and what loos should be. Staff v friendly. Bustling atmosphere...o did you say 'play'?

Yes, watched the play. Excellent. I had missed this one in '88. Dunno why. Probably too young. It does still have resonamce even for our jaded ears, the power of art in the face of current cuts was the thrust of the programme notes.  It is beautifully acted. For example, one or two dramatic pauses were required and nerry a pin drop could be heard. The actors could do their stuff . All the feeling, all the tension, all the humour too. I suppose as you would expect from such an experienced director as Stafford-Clark.
Cast great - all of them!

recommended

#12 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostLynette, on 22 March 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Well, as it happened I found myself in Row C actually the front row with feet on the acting area so no leg problems for me but I did look carefully at the rest of the seating and it didn't look that bad if bad at all. One or two seats crammed in at the very edge in the front might be uncomfy. Very steep rake though and small stage. Unless they can refigure it a al Cottesloe occasionally I feel this might limit their repetoire. But let us mention the very nice brasserie [ fish and chips thanks v nice] and the toilets. You can forget the subterranean pre historic plumbing of the West End. This was same level as foyer, modern and what loos should be. Staff v friendly. Bustling atmosphere...o did you say 'play'?
  Don't judge it until you've tried it. Unless you're under c5'6" in which case you'll be OK. Certainly every time I've been there, the seating has been the major topic of conversation in the interval for any patron of average height.

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

So go for front row every time ! But this is going to be  a problem for them I think. The rake alone is very unappealing. And the exits etc too few and too narrow. Didn't want o to mention this and rain on the parade as it were for this partic show which is well worth seeing.

#14 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

The gastropub next door is pretty good too. And it does have an impressive amount of women's loos in the rabbit warren downstairs. Though take a ball of string - last time I went, a staff member opened a private door to let me back up a quick way. What he'd forgotten was that there was another private door and I had go, somewhat ignominiously back the way I'd came, past the same helpful staff member.  I actually like the rake and the few is very good from much further back but they need to lose a couple of rows and give everyone a couple of inches more space.

#15 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Lynette, you definitely need to try out the other seats. It all looks spacious but is very deceptive. The seats at the ends of rows have a bit more room + you can stick your leg out! I loved the rake in there + everything else about the place, but food is very expensive (for me).

Armadillo, you say exactly what we said - lose a couple of rows and it would be perfect. It's such a shame but I guess they wanted as much revenue as possible. I think people are being put off by the cramped seats.

#16 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

It would be great if they did an audience feedback survey, then the issue of legroom might be addressed.  After all, some of us have reported repeat visits, so we're obviously torn between wanting to see things and not wanting to endure the cramped conditions.

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Have any critics commented on the legroom? For once they must be suffering as much as the people in the cheap seats

#18 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

View Postfringefan, on 22 March 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

It would be great if they did an audience feedback survey, then the issue of legroom might be addressed.  After all, some of us have reported repeat visits, so we're obviously torn between wanting to see things and not wanting to endure the cramped conditions.
There was a sheet to fill in but they didn't push it at you, it was on foyer desk and I think it was for out of joint shows rather than the venue.

#19 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostLynette, on 22 March 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

So go for front row every time ! And the exits etc too few and too narrow.

Sadly, that isn't foolproof as the stage is adaptable and changes for every production. If they use a raised stage, some or all of the front row has the same issues as most other seats. Outermost seats may also get a restricted view as well.

The two "safest" seats for legroom are G1 and 23. (from my site) "These have slightly more legroom (particularly for the right leg in 1 and the left in 23) as the row in front curves towards the stage." Those under 5ft 10 should be OK here.

For Lynette, G1 is the same side as the exit door, six rows down from it.

Some professional reviewers have indeed noted the legroom issues when the venue first opened if I remember. What surprised me when I visited was how the auditorium was constructed. It's a concrete box-shaped room, and the seats are on an all-wooden grandstand constructed within that (yes, I've seen the seats from both above and below... the glamourous places I get to go!)

If the fire regulations allowed, I'd move row N to against the back wall of the venue, then move the other rows back a step each. The only problem is the air-vents under each pair of seats, which would need to be filled in... or we'd all be in a hole... literally...

#20 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

View Posttheatremonkey.com, on 23 March 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Sadly, that isn't foolproof as the stage is adaptable and changes for every production. If they use a raised stage, some or all of the front row has the same issues as most other seats. Outermost seats may also get a restricted view as well.

The two "safest" seats for legroom are G1 and 23. (from my site) "These have slightly more legroom (particularly for the right leg in 1 and the left in 23) as the row in front curves towards the stage." Those under 5ft 10 should be OK here.

For Lynette, G1 is the same side as the exit door, six rows down from it.

Some professional reviewers have indeed noted the legroom issues when the venue first opened if I remember. What surprised me when I visited was how the auditorium was constructed. It's a concrete box-shaped room, and the seats are on an all-wooden grandstand constructed within that (yes, I've seen the seats from both above and below... the glamourous places I get to go!)

If the fire regulations allowed, I'd move row N to against the back wall of the venue, then move the other rows back a step each. The only problem is the air-vents under each pair of seats, which would need to be filled in... or we'd all be in a hole... literally...

Yes, I can vouch for G23, which I had for OCG, on the Monkey's advice -seats on the other side empty too so even better. Did try out more central ones during the interval and could see there might be a problem.  Thoroughly enjoyed the play, btw, especially Ian Redford's multi-tasking (+quick costume changes! ) and I shall be quoting Ralph's final speech to the cast of my next production :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users